About to order Avatar 112 - need some final thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Oct 3, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hey, i just got paid for selling my sterling, so it's time to get a small cab, and this is the one i think i've decided on. this would effectively replace my old goliath 2x10 as my "small/medium" gig cab.

i would use it alone with my rack to start with, then add some kind of cheap 300 watt head, then probably add an avatar compact 15. for the majority of my non phat-phunktion gigs, this should be plenty, right?

how does the 12" cab compare to the swr sound? it's the same horn and all....but in all honesty, i've been using a peavey TKO115 for most of my gigs lately, and it sounds good enough - so as long as it doesn't sound like complete crap i think i'd be ok with it. and as long as its reasonably efficent. is it?

and how easily would i be able to add a speakon in?

2. I'd have to agree with MS. Avatar makes a 1x15 with a horn now, though. I'm looking in to that. It seems like a much better stand-alone cab than a 1x12. I haven't had any expirience with Avatars, so I don't really have an educated opnion.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Why don't you go for an Aguilar GS112? They are fantastic sounding cabinets. I am sure they are deeper sounding, and have much better highs. I am strongly considering one to use at small Jazz gigs, and Jam sessions. Either the GS112, or my second option, a Bag End 1x12. Maybe a Birch model. I'll bet that would kill the Avatar.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    money and size are the big concerns here. i already have my goliath senior and rack for my "big/important" gigs, but it doesn't fit in my car.

the aggie, while i would love it, is too expensive. i have no doubt it would kill the avatar. but again - this would be for gigs/rehearsals where my 8 year old peavey tko is plenty loud and good sounding. i'd keep using it if it were 100w more powerful and about 50 lbs lighter. eventually i'd like to have the 12 and the 15 used with my rack to have something loud but still portable so i don't have to lug around my senior (or anything bigger than a 2x10 for that matter)

quadzilla - you still around? how are you still liking your avatar 112?

can someone who has actualy heard one of these please comment?
  5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    OK. I don't have the Avatar 112 (I do have their 210) but here are my thoughts: If you can get "your sound" out of a Peavey TKO, you can probably get "your sound" with the Avatar cabs. If you need to turn up the lows a whole lot to get your sound then maybe you should look at something designed more for extended low end. But my experience is that a good player can get a good sound out of any halfway decent setup.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I know Jason can play.........I have his C.D.:D
  7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    If money is a concern, you can't go wrong with avatar. I have the B410 and it sounds just as good to me as any cab in g***r center (well almost any).
    And they have a 14 day return policy in case you don’t like them. As far as I can tell, everybody that has Avatar cabs are quite satisfied (myself included). Try the used market (pawn shops), perhaps you can find a great deal on an Agular or Bag End if you have the time and patience to wait.
  8. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have the Avatar 2x10 and Avatar 15. The 2x10 islacking in power for E and lower. I.e., if you have a 5 string, you would not be happy with the 2x10 as a stand-alone cabinet. Coupled with 15, it is a good cabinet though.
  9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have just got the Avatar 2x10 cab this week and all i can say is i think it's great i run it with an swr workingman's 2004 and a 15" e-v in a cab i built. the things did great at practice last night. I would not have to go into the P A if i didn't want
  10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i have owned several high end cabs and avatars are very good. not just for the money, but as cabs go. i was forced to sell a lot of gear to pay some unforseen debts and i am totally pleased. it's not like i feel like i am just settling for something right now. (which is what i thought i would be feeling) i like them a lot better than anything by hartke or peavey has ever put out. don't let the price fool you.
  11. I've got a 2x10 and a 1x15 as well and they sound GREAT with my Cirrus 5. The low B growls and the mids and highs are tight. Couldn't buy better cabs for the price. I've used the 1x15 as a standalone and with a bit of EQ fiddling, it sounded excellent.
  12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yeah I'm still lurking around. The 1x12 and the 2x10 are great cabs for my 4 string basses, but I really can't speak to a 5 string or low B. Not sure. Do the 14 day return thing w them. All you got to lose is about $30 in shipping if it does not work out....

13. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Did I lie??????????:D
    But seriously folks, ya just can't beat em, er.. well you could but that might void Dave's return policy:)