Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About to order some new pups, need some kind of urgent help.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by popinfresh, May 27, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ok, i'm making a project bass, to the shape of a Thunderbird (Changed a bit though). It has mahogany wings and i'm using either just walnut or walnut and mahohany in the neck and i'm using an ebony fingerboard. I'm usually a user of D'addario Pro Steels or Nickels and will sometimes use something a little rounder like elixers.

For amplification I'l be using a Sunn 300T filled with Svetlana 6550C's and cabinet wise I will be using something along the lines of Schroeder, Bergantino or Eden.
    I'm not an effects guy really, so 99% of the time it's straight from the bass to the amp.

So, the tone i'm looking to get from the Thunderbird is agressive, gritty and growly. The sort of growl i'm talking about is like Timmy C from Evil Empire/Rage days. I also like the grit Chancellor from tool got on Aenima as well, but I realise that he's using a wal ;).

I've had my eyes on some Dimarzio Model/Ultra J's as most people seem to say they're very mid oriented with a nice attack and growl and they're also pretty cheap.

I've read a few threads, but they don't answer my question exactly, and i'd like some definite answers as i'm kind of been pushed to get this bass done in time. So would the Dimarzio's do the trick, or should I look at something else? Should I be looking at another setup like a P/J? I don't want to go H/H though, mainly because of the cost.

Thanks.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Can't answer your question directly, but I'd go for a pair of J shaped pups, simply because there seem to be about a billion variations available in that shape in every possible winding config too. Before tha bass is finished, you're not going to have a great idea what it sounds like, so having a shape that gives you a lot of flexibilty will let you experiment with pups easily and cheaply; buy them secondhand, and sell them when you're sure you don't like them.

Email me when the bass is done and I'll loan you a set or two of J bass pups I have floating about, including a set of Dimarzio J's. I'm in NSW.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^ Cool, thanks.

I think what i'l do for now is find some really cheap ones on ebay or something just to get the outline/template of the shape of them, just so i'm not in so much of a rush.

Anyone else got ideas?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Model J's and Ultra J's are two *very* different sounding pickups. Be careful not to get them mixed. The Ultra Jazz, while perfectly good pickups, will not get the sound you want.

Tim C used a Jazz bass primarily IIRC, so the Model J's might be a good fit though. Bear in mind that he uses multiple amps, studio effects etc so you're not going to nail his sound without other links in the chain.
    And you're not going to get Justin Chancellors sound with a J bass, although the Model J's are probably going to get you the closest to that sound you can get with J pups.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, I know I won't get either tone and I don't want them exactly either. I just used them for a reference of the growl and grind i'm looking for, as different people have different interpretations of those words.

So the Dimarzio Model J is my best bet?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Based on what you say, I think so. Although of course, we all hear things differently.