About to print up ads for my Setup Business, are these good?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Here's whats going to go on the paper.

When was the last time your guitar was setup? Truss rod turned? Action ajusted? Pickup height measured? Strings changed?

Need someone to do this for you? Harrison Hartley will do all this with a price that won't drain your wallet.

Call xxx-xxxx
    or Instant Message on AIM to WarmDistortion to find out more.
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    you may want to tell " X number of years experience"
  3. Here's the deal. This is for a Middle school. That may not be a bad idea, but, I really am just doing this to help kids out that don't know alot about setup.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    bassists* adjusted*

it looks good.
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    You are going to start a business setting up guitars and basses? Not to be a downer, but dude - you're 14. Do you have a business license? Insurance? What are you going to do when you break the truss rod on somebody's high end bass or mar the finish on somebody's vintage strat? If your going to advertise that you are in business and accept money to work on people's guitars I hope you've thought about this stuff.

6. DUDE! This is for MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT someone is going to come in with a vintage strat or a high end bass (My bass is the most high end they've seen. a MIM Jazz with a J-retro.) I am very careful about it, and have played "Doctor" on my dad's guitars, and they've turned out just fine.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He's got a point though. To them, their Squier strat might be god, and if you bung it up, they'll be pissed.

hehe kinda funny, in middle school i had a MIM jazz too, popular bass for that time period.
  8. I have given it alot of thought. I bought a fretrest guitar kit, and always put a polishing cloth where the allen wrench is, incase it slips.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats great but remember, if you knew what was going to go wrong, it wouldnt happen would it? O well. good luck.
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, Like I said - I wasn't trying to be a downer. I just wanted to make sure that you've considered that there may be some liablity involved. Do what thou wilt. Enjoy.
  11. Make a disclaimer that you hand out to your customers -BEFORE- even laying one finger on the instrument.

And always use extreme prejudice while handling another person's instrument, even if it's just a crappy $70 P-bass clone. Things to keep in mind :

- Use this stuff, Don't know the proper English name for it. But in holland we call it " Painters Tape ".

- Always put a few strips of that tape behind the bridge when putting in new strings.

- Remove the pickguard if the bass has a rear-end trussrod. And put a thick layer of the tape 'round the hole so you minimise the damage if the allen-wrench slips.

- use the proper tools. Don't tighten up tuners / pots with a pair of pliers, they always slip and cause damage to the finish.

- When adjusting the trussrod, you sometimes need to bend the neck backwards a little. You do this by clamping the bass between your right foot and your left knee. always take of your shoes and put a towel on the ground.

- etc

in short : do whatever it takes to decrease the chance of possible damage.

12. We call it Masking Tape!:)
  13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I tried to call xxx-xxxx, nobody answered!? I think other people will have this problem also! :p

Looks good! I need a set up. Hurry up and open your business! :)
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I called xxx-xxxx and some chick told me it was going to cost me $3.99 a minute. :eek:
  15. well, I had stuff to make up in science, so I couldn't plaster them around the school myself. I gave them to a girl who said she would do it, but I didn't see them up in the hallways. Well, eh. You live you learn. :)
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats the returning customer rate. When i called she hit me with the $5/min bill.
  17. Well, I had to stay in for activity period for Rock Band, so I gave the flyers out to a girl to pass them out and tape them up around school, and apprently, it's Illegal for some reason. The girl I gave them to said he just threw them out. He didn't even say why. I hate my school. I don't know where I should put them now. I gave a paper to one person, maybe he'll spread the word around. Any suggestions?
  18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Is there a school newspaper? Try there!
    If not make up some small business cards and post them around,who knows?
  19. Nah. I'm pretty much screwed in this small little town.

Maybe. I think I might have to get this around by word of mouth though... :-/