Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About to pull the trigger on TF 550.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Apr 18, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hope I got that number right, heh.

Anyway, thinking about it, as much as i'd love a new Mesa BB 750 or a used Bass 400+/Basis 2000. The chances of me getting a used under 2k are slim, and a new BB runs about $3900 at cheapest.

So I was having a look around at amps i've seen in the past and came apon the Thunderfunks again. Fact is, I could buy one direct from dave and with shipping it'd be around $1500, no transformer worries or anything either.

So the neck thing is, I really did like the warmth, and punch, yet also how clean a BB 750 was, does anyone have a comparison between the two amps? The only set back with the TF is no o/d which isn't a big problem.

So last questions really, can the TF get a bit of a gritty tone? Not full on, just a nice bit of attack to it. I know it can sound warm and clean etc. But yeah.

The only thing i'm really waiting on is to see if this Basis 2000 is available for sale over here, if not, then it looks like i'm gonna pull the trigger.

Thanks.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just be careful with what you think the cost will be:

TF550 = $1050USD (1370Aus)

Shipping & Insurance = $50USD (65 Aus)

Dutiable Value = $1435 Aus *0.05 = $71 = $1505

GST = $1505 * 10%

Cost = $1665

Plus you will have to pay a Customs Broker to clear the goods as it is valued at over $1000Aus, which means you will be up for another $100-200Aus to get it through customs.

So your total is more likely to be up around the $1800-1900mark. Thats still a lot cheaper than you could get a similar amp here for, but just more than the $1500 you thought.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Oh yeah, I knew it was around $1600 for the shipping, just sorta rounded it down. As for the customs, the deal is, I pay for the amps and shipping, parents pay the customs. Dave also said though that alot of the time people don't have and tax on the way in and he ships in pretty plain looking brown boxes with just a made in US sticker/print on it.

:)

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just be careful because you have to do a declaration stating what the goods are and what they are worth. If you lie about what the goods are, Australian customs can make clearing of the goods very difficult. OTOH if you lie about what the goods are worth, insurance can be a real problem if there is any damage during shipping and customs can easily find out what the real value is (they make you provide a receipt before clearing it).

DOnt let that discourage you, ive had three basses come through customs without GST, but be prepared for the worst case scenario, that way when good stuff happens you feel even better! :D

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, the basis isn't for sale anymore.

Can any owners/user tell me if they can get a nice bit of attack/grittyness. Nothing major, but, ya know.

I'l be running this with a Mesa 1516 cab and quite possible an EBS 15 at times in the future (Or one of those EBS cabs with the 10" in it too).

6. Yes, if your bass is putting out high-end grit, the TF will pass it along to the cab quite pleasingly. I was playing with this punk drummer in a tiny room yesterday, and my usual mellow sound wasn't getting heard at all, so I managed to set my sound to grind.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ahh, good news.

So pretty much. Anyone found anything bad about these amps? And what are they like in the studio?

Also, i've heard people saying that they're louder than GK1001's.. Anyone compared anything like that, or simply, are they loud?

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, what's the BBE run for $$ wise? I'l go read them up now..

Interesting about the not clipping thing.. I'l go read the TF manual too.