Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

about to record with a major, any tips?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thelastofus, Jan 24, 2006.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    my band lostocean (myspace.com/lostocean) is about to go into record out debut album for a new emi imprint called credential and i was wondering if anyone had any tips for the professional atmosphere. listen to some tunes and put forth any advice you may have. thanks guys.
    bret

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Listen to the engineer. He knows the equipment better than you.
    It'll helpou to go in with a blank mind, that way there'll be few disappointments.
    Abandon all hopes of "keeping it real". That's not going to recoup the label's money. There'll be some screwing, you just have to decide which position you want to be in. Remember: the president does the screwing, the A&R guy is just his condom.
    Have a plan before you go in. That way they won't force too many of their ideas down your throat.
    There's gonna be some yelling, don't make or take it personal.
    When we recorded our cd, I took 3 rigs (Ashdown, Aguilar, and an SWR were sent to me by those companies.) and 5 basses, although the Warwick got alot of the playing time. Bring as many options as you can, and be prepared to play the same riff over and over and over.............
    All and all, it was and is a great experience. Congrats to Lost Ocean. Now get in there and leave no ass unkicked!!!!!! :bassist: