about to start playing double, questions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassmonkey144, May 30, 2004.

1. im about to start playing double for my orchestra at school. Ive played EB for 3 years or so. so im thinkin about renting a double to practice over the summer with. could anybody tell me what size to get, and a estimate on price range, ect. basically anything you think i should know.
  2. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    If you haven't already, make sure you check out Chris Fitzgerald's thread on newbie bass links (Double Bass Forums > Basses). You'll be able to find most of the info you need to get started in there.
  3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    First and Foremost I must say that I too am just starting to look into playing DB's, But I have already researched enough to understand that No one can tell you what size to play, no one can tell you how much to spend, and You cant Just "Pick it up" like BG's...

Good Times

4. well thanks for your confidence tim. actually, what i wanted to know was basic information, not a complete vote of no confidence.
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ok... They Come in Many sized, 3/4 wich is standard BTW, 4/4, 7/8, 5/8 and some more...

They can range from $500 for a Cheap Bass, not worth buying, to over $100,000...

GO here, and Read up:

That should give you a Basic Idea of Every answer you would need... It helped me a ton.

EDIT: (Quote of Me) First and Foremost I must say that I too am just starting to look into playing DB's, But I have already researched enough to understand that No one can tell you what size to play, no one can tell you how much to spend, and You cant Just "Pick it up" like BG's...

How is this a Vote of "No Confidence"? What I said is that "NO one can tell you what size to buy" Everyone is different, does this confuse you? "No one can tell you how much to spend" That is just what I said... But if you want advice on what to buy, go buy something from the 1800's... Save up. "You cant just "Pick up DB" like BG" What? You dont understand this either? Not hard, You cant just pick it up, there is too much Technique to just pick one up and play it...

What you need to do is go play some db's and find out what feels right... Once you find the one that feels right, make certain that it is in Good Working Condition... After you purchase the "Right Bass" take it to a Luthier to have it set up properly... Maybe get an Adjustable bridge, some new strings...

Since this is for an Orchestra I would assume you would be playing Arco, this means that you will also have to plop down like $200 for a Good Bow, Not too mention over $100 for strings and Probably over $800 for a good Double Bass.

Now if you simply wanted to rent one, thats a different story, You could rent a Good instrument for a good price, but I must stress that a teacher is important...

Sorry if I came off a Little rude... Lets just say I had a REALLY bad day at work. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Work? whazzat?

YOUGOTTOFUNKERSI-I-IZE...I love your enthusiasm for the bassistic arts.... you shall go far, my son.
  7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Sorry about that... I dont know if I mentioned it here, but I work at Knott's Berry Farm, in Southern California... I am a Ride Operator, and I was at Ghost Rider the other day...

Some kid walks up to me, standing face to face and says "I dont feel Good" They Covers his Mouth and Erupt's Vomit all over the place including me :meh: Not only did I have to wash it off of me, but I had to clean up the crap on the floor too...

I couldnt get the smell off...
  8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Bass Monk, welcome to the darkside!

So how to proceed? Well, you need a luthier, and a teacher. The only bass guy I know of in Indy is Frank's Violin Shop ((317) 251-5950). The Violin Shop of Old Carmel ((317) 818-2326) may have one in stock for you as well. Or you can get yourself east across all those crop fields to the Cincinatti Bass Cellar ((513) 661-6224). They'll tell you the proper size, all three shops rent I believe, and they can direct you to a teacher. The teacher is critical on this instrument.

Good luck!
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

Get a teacher.

Need a teacher.

You must have a teacher.

Don't not have a teacher.

10. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    Erupt's Vomit what a great name for a band!! :bassist:

Your story brings back memories of long ago for this former ride-op. I had lots of kids erupt vomit on me too. Its part of the job. Met my wife at that job. Talk about a bad day at the park... :rolleyes:
  11. Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Sometimes a good place to find a rental is at the school you will be attending if they have one on hand. Also if you are looking for lessons I might recommend calling up local universities, both Ball State and Indiana University are only about an hour away from you and IMO both have excellent bass studios. They might be able to hook you up with a graduate student that teaches lessons.
  12. T Sony

T Sony

Mar 5, 2004
    When I started Double bass (age 15 )I rented and used the school bass, wasn't much but it did the job.

After 4 years of hard work with local professional symphony and Jazz players I began to scratch the surffice of the bass. I still continue working hard to achieve my best, but one thing these guys told you is without a teacher you're going no where. By the way I'm only 19 :rolleyes:

Personally I would rent one, get a hold of a good teacher and work with him for a year or two with a rented bass. My teacher had great hookups when I bought my fully carved double bass, the bass was hand made fully carved 3/4 from Asia ( new ). Orginally priced and appraised at 8k my teacher and I were able to get it for 4k.

Just remember, no matter how tempting it is to play too much don't over do yourself.

I'll get flamed for this..... Before even playing or renting Double bass talk to a professional trainer on strengthening your wrists and hands do some excersises a week prior with him or her. While doing the excersises and training for Double bass seek out a teacher too. It's very physically demanding instrument, lucky I train alot so Carpal Tunnel and Tendinitis has never affected me.

Just looking after your best interests....

Welcome to the Darkside
  13. Oh please! But welcome to the Darkside anyway. I'm 62, never had a teacher or a Personal trainer, have played all over the world with people like Bill Evans to Pharoah Sanders and i'm still hangin'. Do get a teacher, but don't forget... playing is about the most fun you're ever gonna have on this planet! :hyper: BUT BE CAREFUL!!!!!!! Sorry T (joke?)
  14. T Sony

T Sony

Mar 5, 2004
    True fact Paul, not everyone is as strong as you or myself. I talk to friends who are chriopractors, they've dealt with young musicians switching from electric bass to double bass in the past in which wrist and CT problems occured. Yes I was over-protective in my last post making it sound like an utter joke. I'm just trying to make sure he won't encounter any of the mistakes as my friends patients.

P.S: Paul, I love your bass!
  15. Thanks Man! But, that bass really can hurt ya. I had to totally re-invent my thumb position playing 'cause of those shoulder humps and the channels in the fingerboard under the G and B strings. Also, due to the extra weight of the cast iron/brass machines and all that extra wood (5 piece scroll/neck....two pieces of ebony sandwiched between three layers of curly maple. 1/8" copper wire as a tail-piece wire capped by a 1"x3" brass plate! That bass is very heavy!!
    I was in Amsterdam and at a museum next to the train station, there was a banner announcing the feature of the month...." Instruments of Torture Throughout the Ages" Eric Gunnison and Scott Colley were there with me (they were working with Carmen McCrae) I had Eric take a picture of me and the Bohmann under that banner!!!
  16. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Paul - Post the pic!!! That's classic.
  17. I know. I'm tearing the house apart looking for the damn thing. I'll call Eric. The funny thing was Carmens band had a week off and so did I because Cifford Jordan who I was working with cancelled our dates 'cause he got sick. So I decided to go on a EuroRail trip with Eric, Scott Colley and Mark Pulice the drummer. ONLY CATCH... we had to take the Bohmann with us because I didn't bring my flight case and had nowhere to store my bass without the trunk! Scott was cool because he had his trunk with him, so he was able to store his bass at the train station in its trunk. The promoter bought tickets for my bass. (in the days when you could do that) So Scott helped me lug the bass all over Europe on vacation.
    So, when I saw that banner......PERFECT
  18. Jakehead

Jakehead Banned

Nov 27, 2003
    chicago Illinois
    Welcome to the dark side, might as well throw that electric bass geeetar in the trash! You will never go back....okay, I do get the itch every once in a while, lol. Have fun!!!
  19. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    "erupts vomit - " either half of that would cover a lot of bands...