1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

About to tear my hair out.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by oniman7, Aug 20, 2012.

1. When recording, I've always had lag issues. I blame it on the soundcard.

I friend of mine recently gave me his copy of Cubase along with a Line 6 UX2 Toneport/POD Farm 1.00. Pod Farm works great and I have no lag with it. Problem is, something inside's gone a little freaky and the volume changes and hisses. Seems to come across on recordings as well.

One of my dad's friends also gave me his copy of Reason, along with a Digidesign Audio Box (with the Reason logo displayed on the top) and an M Audio Axiom 49 MIDI controller. The controller works great into the USB slot of the computer. Only problem is that I get lag still.

I would run it into the Audio Box, except neither has the appropriate inputs or outputs to link together. I also all of a sudden can't get the audio box to turn on, even when Reason is running.

Can you record a "real" song in Reason? I've also got Reaper running, but I won't be able to use the Audio box, the only thing that would allow me to run lag free. Cubase won't run because the license hasn't been transferred.

Please help me...

2. jeff5311

jeff5311

Jan 27, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    It's called "latency.". Do a search with your DAW's name and the word "latency" in Google and you'll find and answer. It's extremely common and almost all DAW's have a setting to compensate for it.

3. I set the Audacity anti latency whatever, slowly at first, and then to insane numbers (over 10,000 at one point) and it did nothing up until the point that it crashed the program.

Following the suggestion of another forum, I'll be downloading the Mbox driver as well as the ASIO4ALL sound driver and hopefully that'll work a little better.

4. jeff5311

jeff5311

Jan 27, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Which DAW are you trying to use? And how and when are you hearing the latency?

I'm no expert at digital recording, but when you are just playing your bass without an accompanying track (just monitoring bass by it self) you will always have a bit of lag if your PC doesn't have good proceeding speed, memory, etc... And depending on the interface.

However, when you record with a track, the latency adjustment will compensate for the lag. When you play the track back with your bass recorded it will sound in sync.

Does this make sense?

5. Audacity. However, plugging the MIDI controller via USB into Reason also produces lag.

The above is a good point. I do know that when using the Toneport interface, I get no lag even when monitoring, but that's not an option.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The best way to reduce and fine tune latency is to use ASIO drivers.
    Unfortunately, Audacity doesn't support them.
    I suggest a switch to Reaper (or any other quality DAW, just this one is free to try) and the use of ASIO drivers for your interface.

7. I have just downloaded Reaper and somebody on the propellerhead forum recommended I download ASIO4ALL.

It's downloaded and I will report back tomorrow.

8. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    That's great that ur going to try that but save yourself some time and download Ableton Live for free for 30 days Just having the sessions and arrangement view options makes it worth the purchase IF ur really into recording. If not keep muddling through with Reaper.