Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About woods...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FaBu-, Aug 29, 2004.

1. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I'm going to get a custom bass made and I'd like to learn a bit about woods. I want to get a bass with deep bassy, but punchy sound. It will be a neckthrough singlecut and a 6 or 7 stringer.

I've heard that softer woods give that deep bassy sound, is that true? And what woods are like that?

And harder woods give that punchy sound? True?

I've been thinking of getting the neck made so that it's laminated from 7 pieces so that 4 pieces are made of some softer wood and 3 pieces are made of some harder wood. And my idea on the body is that it would be made of some softer wood and there would be a top and a back made of some harder (and good looking, some spalted maple perhaps?) wood.

So I'd like to hear opinions on this and some hints on the woods. What woods are good?

Thanks in advanve to those who have the energy to reply :)

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think you should ask this in the Basses forum - or ask a mod to move this thread.

BTW I'm not so sure about that "softer wood = deep bassy sound". Some will probablyknow it better than me, though.
    I know that harder or denser woods tend to be brighter, but which frequencies do they enhance or diminish, varies from type to type

3. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Ok, thanks...

So mods, could you please move this thread to a batter location? :confused:

4. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I wish that someone would help or even the mods could move this to a better place.

5. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Thanks a lot!