1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

above the chemical reactions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ok so as previously discussed in one of my other threads... lets assume our bodies are just a bunch of chemical reactions.....

and lets assume for some reason our ie mankind chemical reactions have created something else above other animals...l

lets call it a level of "awareness" or ability to chose....

other animals react via instinct....but we can counter the instinct by our level of awareness cause our chemicals have created it...

are you with me...

so this level of awareness, would some folk call it your soul?

ok lets say we are still evolving....will this level of awareness keep evolving into something more?

ok so if our chemicals become unbalanced our level of awareness gets impacted... ie depression, anxiety etc... is there another level above the level of awareness that still keeps us under control?

so what really is this level of awareness?...is it just a chemical reaction by product?

2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Hopefully it will evolve into an awareness of grammar, capitalization, syntax, punctuation and complete sentences.

3. I'm not with you. What are you talking about exactly?

If you're talking about evolution increasing to developing the ability to rationalize why we do what we do to survive and how to change things so that we no longer have to follow that path..........that's a chemical reaction forming a product that is able to contemplate itself.

4. I'm never above chemical reactions... bong.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think Icey is experimenting with some other forms of chemical reactions

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    What makes you think we are unique in the ability to feel and think? Animals are automatons who just act on reflex while we think and feel? I remember when they told us that in Sunday school, but I'm older and more educated now. We are more like them than we are different.

7. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Yes. I'm actually a dog surfing the internet.

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    It's been hypothesized that humans are the only animals with imaginations but what about other animals' dreams?

9. Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?

You are! Yes you are!!

10. I was watching my 14 year old German wirehair sleeping a few nights ago, and he was chasing something in his dreams, probably one of the neighborhood cats or rabbits. He was probably younger and faster in his dream than he is in reality. It was funny to watch. He was laying on is side, his legs were flailing about, and I could tell he was barking away in his dream, although only tiny little barks were coming out of his mouth.

Chemicals were probably involved, he's composed of a whole bunch of them.

Just remember the 4 rules of life and you'll be fine:

1. Life is timeless
    2. Time is endless
    3. Reality is distorted
    4. Life is an endless Deja-Vu.

I discovered this back in the 70's, and it's still true today. I respectfully decline to state if chemicals were involved when I came to this realization.

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Just believe what science tells you: it's all just a happy accident, no plan, no universal order constructed out of utter chaos. Just an accident that has yielded order and laws that are undeniable. Unchanging mathematical certatinties.

Quit looking for a plan. Science doesn't allow for it. We all know science is perfect, because man invented it. Consciousness is an illusion created by electro-chemical reactions, enhanced by a growing knowledge database, within and without. It can only evolve if there is something bigger to evolve into. A newborn is 100% instinct, gains knowledge that becomes self awareness, knowledge mixes with environment, opinions form from perception, opinions evolve over lifespan, you die. There would no longer be violence if the awareness was passed on generation to generation. Each 'soul' is new and unsullied by knowledge and opinion.

I believe none of this. I am 100% superstitious. Eternity and infinity are unexplainable yet science tries. Einstien alluded to the fact that the universe is incomprehensible and in his mind, will never be explained. Speaks volumes. All I see now is guys like Hawkings try to fit the universe into their math. Good luck with that.

12. 96tbird

So true. Dogs are self aware as are spiders just to differing degrees. I believe plants also have the rudiments of senses; after all, all life is life. It's all related and miraculou... er, a big accident.

13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Einstein also said "Only two things are infinite- the universe and human stupidity and I'm not absolutely sure about human stupidity".

14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Einstein also said "Only two things are endless- the universe and human stupidity and I'm not absolutely sure about human stupidity".

15. 96tbird

Judge and jury in one. You must be pleased.

16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

So nice, Einstein said it twice !

17. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

What he said was "Only two things are infinite- the universe and human stupidity and I'm not absolutely sure about the former" (the universe)

18. Subscribed. Solely because I think it's only a matter of time before someone gets butthurt over a evolutionism / creationism argument.

19. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    That's a good boy, Nutdog. Good boy!

20. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    So before the internet, there was no self awareness?:D