Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Abraham Laboriel! Ron Kenoly's bass player!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jun 8, 2005.

1. I'm listening to this guy and he has some amazing chops. Any of you ever heard of him? Is he well known? He's amazing.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He is a big time LA studio bassist. He has also done so solo albums too. Back in the 1980's he did a few things with Quincy Jones, other than that I'm drawing a blank right now.

3. He came out with a solo album about 5 years ago called "Guidum" definatly worth checking out.
    I love that guy. He has really influenced my playing. He plays alot in the christian music scene.

4. Sweet, I'm going to check out that solo music. He's helping get me back into some christian music, hearing it made me realize not all christian music sucks and it can have great bass in it too.

5. I here what your saying about the Christian music thing ...same here
    "Sing to the Lord a new song and not that syrupy crap"

"Play skillfully unto the Lord and not just enough to sound top 40"

6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Abe's a monster! He's been around for a long time and was the guy on the West Coast during the eighties. He's also done a ton of Christian workshops and worship conferences in the last few years.

7. I really enjoy listening to his stuff with Larry Carlton - "Nightcrawler" is a cool track.

He has a duet CD with woodwind player Justo Almario - also on the Kenoly band. He's also played with Crystal Lewis, a Christian artist.

It's interesting how much midrange he uses, especially his slap tone in comparison with the trad "scooped" sound. But his tone is totally tasteful and works really well. If I tried that I know it would sound nasty.

His son, Abe Jr, is a sweet drummer as well.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    He played and toured with Al Jareau in the mid 70's, I saw him twice with Al. He was in a christian fusion band called "Koinia" if you ever see those grab em, Alex Acuna played percussion for them. He also played on a lot of Andre Crouch's stuff including "I'll be thinking of you" which I think won a grammy.

9. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Check him out on Lee Ritenour's "Feel The Night" CD, especially on "French Toast" trading bars w/ Steve Gadd ..... to me, his best work was as a session dude.

Easy,
    R

10. Christians bass shoud be Tobias?

11. Thinking in enjoy by hear soul, alive , or hearing gosts lockin and stoped in time.
    :bag:

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's "Koinonia". Their first album is good, the second (live) one is tremendous!

13. I'm going to see Ron Kenoly live July 7th, and idea if he's on this tour?

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    didn't he play an 8-string(octaves) quite a bit?
    for some reason that image pops in my mind with his name...
    d
    abraham, that is..

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

More like 10 years ago (1995)!

16. Is his instructional video any good?

17. i can't help but toot my own horn that i just saw :bassist: abraham live last night with lee ritenour!!! what an amazing show!!!!! an incredible player who has to be one of the most animated musicians i have ever seen!!!! always smiling, always dancing to the rhythms, and always dropping the most wicked (holy?) grooves!

as far as the question about seeing ron kenoly, i question that he'll be there because at the show i heard he's touring with lee ritenour in a bunch of other countries yet.

if anyone gets the chance to see him live, he is very explosive to watch and his joy is not only obvious, it's contagious! i feel very lucky to have seen him as i questioned if i would ever be so fortunate. :hyper:

18. That's awseome man.

19. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    "Guidum" is a great album. Abe is the man. His instructional video is a beginner's vid, but still worth buying because it's Abe playing live. Haha.

20. JazzerHF

JazzerHF

Dec 14, 2004
    ABE IS DA MAN!!!

I saw him WITH his son a couple month's ago at the baked potatoe... omg... JAW DROPPING!!! Tasty player. Only way to describe him as a person is as a cloud of love... or something along those lines... not enough good things can be said of him...