Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Abrasive Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    It just occured to me when I've played on some other basses that the strings that come with my Yamaha RBX370A are quite abrasive and tough to play with. I'm getting a set of bass strings for the first time so do you guys have any suggestions on strings that aren't too abrasive and are very comfortable to play with?

THANKS! :)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Avoid stainless strings.
    They're way harder under the fingers.

Preffer nickel wounds or coated strings like Elixir.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I imagine this will get bumped to another forum, but while it's here:

I just discovered SIT Silencers. They're basically an inverse/pressure wound string. They feel great, but don't lose any brightness (to me).

I'm converting over to these on a few basses for now... we'll see how they hold up.
    They're not quite flatwound, but the ridge from the windings is not as pronounced as roundwounds, so they are really comfortable on the fingers.

I really like these suckers! Great feel and sound.
    their words:
    The process of Inverse String Winding compresses the outermost part of the cover wrap leaving the internal structure of the string intact. Exclusive to S.I.T., this design produces a silky feel which is easier on your fingers and frets, but explodes with a round wound sound! -Perfect for fretless basses. - Long Scale

4. Dean Markley Blue Steel nickle roundwounds. They are very balanced sounding strings, and for roundwounds are pretty easy on the fingers.

www.deanmarkley.com

I use the LTs. 45 - 100 They are wonderful. Put them on around Christmas, and they still sound good.

Mike J.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm a huge fan of Fender strings, particularly the Nickel Wound "Super Bass" series. Easy on your fingers, fretboard, and frets. I love them and run them on every bass that I own - well except the acoustic Tacoma... and the Peavey Palaedium still has some old Billy Sheehan Snarlin' Dogs... Guess I lied... But I love them on all my other basses. ;)

6. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Well, maybe it's just me but I REALLY LIKE Ernie Ball Slinkys'. Although I know a few who hate them... wow this thing hasn't been moved yet? I was almost sure this thing would've popped up in strings, oh well.

7. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    put wd-40 on your strings, it works for me. you slide like a bastard!!!!! you can transition SOOO quickly just try it put wd-40 on your strings!!! take a paper towel, spray a little on, and rub your strings down gently. i have warwick black labels.

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks alot for the help guys..appreciate it! ;)

9. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    How 'bout FAST FRET?

10. IME, roundwounds are more likely to be harder on the fingers. Some type os roundwounds, like the previously stated Elixers, and DM Blue Steels and less abrasive. Old Dirty strings will also feel abrasive. I had a set of strings that were rusting from the inside out, and they felt so horrible.

I've got Blue Steels and D'addario strings on my basses now, and I love the Blue Steels.