Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABS brakes, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Hey, does anyone know if replacing disc brake pads for ABS brakes is the same as replacing disc brake pads for non-ABS brakes.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yes, it is the same as long as you do not replace the rotor. the rotor has the abs ring on it.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    On ABS cars/trucks you should crack the bleeder screw open on the caliper before you push the piston back. That will push the dirty brake fluid out of the caliper, and not push it backwards thru the ABS solenoids. Ive seen pieces of crud get stuck in those solenoids, causing problems with ABS braking.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    unless he just wants to change the pads in which case he can use a c clamp to push the piston back in.
    if he opens the braks line he'll have to bleed the system - a mkjor pain unless you are a mechanic IMO

5. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    By just pushing the piston back, you run the risk of pushing contaminated fluid backwards thru the system, and possibly lodging contaminants in the ABS solenoids. Bleeding brakes is fairly easy, and any Chiltons type manual will explain how to do so.

6. Thanks. If anyone has anymore information, please share.

Stupid story, eh?: My sister has an 1998 Acura EL (ie. It's a fancy Honda Civic). She took the car in for routine maintenance at the Acura dealership and the mechanic told her she needed to replace the front brake pads. A $170 job.

Anyways, my Dad and I do our own brakes and when we removed the tire, we saw that the brake pads had more than 50% left!

Grrrr...rip-off artists. We're planning on checking the brake pads again in the summer.

7. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Get a real good look at the inboard brake pads. Hondas have a habit of wearing the inboards out faster than the outboards, especially if you live where they use alot of road salt (The caliper sliders tend to freeze up, and the outboard pad will not do as much work as the inboards).

It may not be easy to see the inboards, some Hondas dont have all that large of an inspection hole in the caliper, so you may have to pop the caliper off to get a good look. Also(if you didnt do it already), check the brakes at all 4 wheels. Its not uncommon for one wheel to wear brakes quicker than another(its not supposed to happen, but it does).

8. Hmmm, if you are referring to the inside brake pad (the inboard?), it's fine. We can see through a slot in the front of the disc brake.

My neighbour is an engineer and he was there too. He said it was fine.

Thanks for the info everyone!

9. they are the same. just be careful doing it.:D