Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABS Piezo Bridge on Passive P-J Config - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groover, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Hello,

I'm thinking about installing an ABS Piezo Bridge on one of my Fretless Jazz Bass Specials.

Not sure what that will do to my sound, but I'm hoping for an upright-ish tone, or at least the option of having a similar sound when I want it.

The Jazz Bass Special has a Passive P-J pickup configuration, with a pickup selector switch. Will the Piezo work well in a Passive setup, or do I need to install a pre-amp?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give on this.

Also, are there any other Piezo Bridges out there, that may fit the Fender bolt pattern? (Looks to me that the ABS requires new holes in the body).

2. 1) You will most likely need to install a buffer preamp, since the impedence of a piezo pickup is very different from a magnetic pickup.

2) You're going to have to drill holes under the bridge to run the wires from the piezo saddles, so there's probably not much point in worrying about the bolts fitting the standard Fender pattern. However, if that's a big concern, you might look at getting the Graphtech Ghost Fender-style piezo saddle replacements ( http://www.graphtech.com/prodghost.htm )

Mike

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the detailed reply Mike.

I'm not too concerened about drilling the holes as I am concerned about getting the new holes drilled square (or straight). The Graphtech Ghost Fender-style piezo do seem like a nice way to go. I'm looking at their sire right now (still don't see the Bass option though...)

Does anyone have a clip/sample of a fretless with Piezo?

Thanks!

4. If you browse the catalog, you'll see the saddles. At the bottom of the FAQ ( http://www.graphtech.com/faqgst.htm ), there's also a parts list of items necessary to add piezos to a bass.

Mike