1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ABS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IconBasser, Jul 23, 2007.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    ok, here's the deal. I want abs, and I really wanna get em in 5 weeks before I start my junior year of HS. My current plan is to do 500 situps a day.

So my question is, am I going about this the right way? any of you fitness trainers suggest something else?

2. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Basically everyone has really impressive looking abs but they are covered with layers of fat. The only way to get great defined abs like on TV is to lower your body fat through diet and fat burning exercises. Situps will help but won't do it on thier own. So sayeth my personal trainer.

3. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Its pretty much the truth. You'll need your body % in the single digit range to be honest. So you'll probably need to look into a cutting exercising program.

Beyond that, deadlifts and squats will help your abs more than # of situps can.

4. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That's what I tell my cleints. You'd be better off spending the time required to do 500 situps on a treadmill. The fat-burning zone is 70-80% of (220-age). Try to maintain this heart rate for 30-40 minutes 3-4 times per week. Diet is the key to abs though. Don't go on fad diets or stop eating either... they're counterproductive and metabolism slowing. A high-protein, moderate carbohydrate (complex carbs, not simple/starch/white carbs), and low fat (good fats) diet that provides 4-6 smaller meals throughout the day is the key. Check online for formulas to estimate your daily calorie needs or your BMR (base metabolic rate) and then subtract about 500 from that number. That is what you should be eating every day to lose fat at a sustainable rate. Don't forget to factor cardio in your BMR equation.

5. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I truly thought that this thread was gonna be about Anti-lock Brake Systems.:meh:

+1 on the low body fat

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It makes me so happy to see such a flood of good advice from you, jady, and Kosko. I get so tired of people claiming fad diets, etc.

The above posters are absolutely right. Right now I'm trying to get to <10% body fat. My diet is:

Meal 1 (breakfast)
    -2 scrambled eggs, toast, Whey protein + water, multivitamin

Meal 2
    -Banana, OJ + glutamine

Meal 3 (Lunch, pre-workout)
    -2 small chicken breasts on either 2 pieces of bread, choice of green tea or water

After lifting and before cardio, I drink a whey + water shake.

Meal 4 (Post-workout)
    -Banana, OJ + glutamine

Meal 5 (Dinner)
    -Choice of: 2 small pieces of chicken, 1/2 fillet of salmon, or a can of tuna, as well as a 1/4 cup of brown rice, choice of green tea or water

Meal 6
    -Fat-free yogurt, green tea

Meal 7
    -whey protein + milk

Explanations: Potassium in the banana helps with muscle recovery from lifting and from the cardio. You generally want to get as much protein from your food as possible, though a whey (fast-absorption protein) shake is reccomended for the morning to get your body back into an anabolic state after fasting for 7-8 hours (sleep) and PWO to get protein to your muscles immediately after a workout.

I take the last shake at night before bed with milk because milk slows the absorption of protein and you want to keep a steady stream fed to your muscles throughout the night. Ideally it would be casein protein for the night shake, but I don't have any yet.

Glutamine is a non-essential amino acid, considered non-essential because your body makes it but it drops drastically during a workout and you need to bring that back up for fully effective protein synthesis.

Doing 500 situps a day is just going to make your waist and stomach bigger. Diet is king. Diet and cardiovascular exercise will get you abs in time. That said, 5 weeks is not going to get you abs. I'm looking at about a full 8-10 weeks for my cut, although I'm hoping to bring the time down with extra cardio. Started last week, never felt better.

EDIT: My diet is designed for my caloric use per day factoring in body weight, current body fat %, and goal body fat %. I'm 5'9, 165lbs. Started around 15-16% body fat, aiming to get to less than 10% (looking around stopping at 8 or so.) Do some googling ("caloric calculator" might be a good start) and work this out for yourself and create a diet for yourself with a 200-250 calorie per day deficit pre-exercise, then look to do around 30-40 minutes of cardiovascular activity 4-5 times per week. Ideally, I'd suggest lifting weights as well 3-4 times a week (M/W/F or M/Tu/Th/F) as well to help improve your overall physique.

EDIT: Also, just in case you hadn't seen it in other posts, the reason for the high number of meals per day is that eating 5-8 meals per day rather than 3 keeps your metabolism running high, and keeping a steady stream of calories through the day means less is stored as fat because you're using them as you consume them, rather than getting a whole bunch at once (the extra getting food getting stored as fat.)

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Even though I stopped working out for the summer, because I'm dirt poor, take it from this guy. He helped me a lot during the year. He knows what he's talking about.
    Aaron's got a killer diet plan.
    When September hits, I'm going to lose this body fat. I'm determined. I'm going to be working out more, and I'm going to get in shape, so I can destroy my friends at soccer! haha

8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Me too, I was ready to recommend ABS it in 6 different ways and 2 colors.

And DAMN, that diet plan sounds great! Wish I could regiment myself like that!

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Me too. ;) I thought, "Cool, another car topic …"

10. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    poo... I just ate an enourmous bear claw... *sigh* I guess this means no more doughnuts... :bawl: :bawl:

11. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    +1

I love the cardio and the workouts, I also love to eat :(

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Beer is really bad too.
    Hence "beer belly"
    Which sucks, because I downed an ungodly amount of beer the other night.

13. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    well, thats not a problem of mine, I hate beer.

my weakness is chocolate. Lots. and lots. of chocolate.
    *sigh* I guess its time to break out the celery.(sp?)

14. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Aaron - your diet looks leaps and bounds better than some that I have seen, although I could offer a couple suggestions.

Maybe switch something else out instead of the fat-free yogurt? Those usually have quite a high sugar content, something you want to avoid especially at night.

The banana + OJ meal has lots of sugar and no protein

Also instead of Milk and Whey for your last meal (gets digested pretty quickly, and contains lactose in the milk) you may want to switch it to a solid protein source and a healthy fat like peanut butter or flax seed oil. This will slow digestion much greater than milk, and has no sugar. It will also help in your diet because I really didn't see any healthy fats in there except for the occasional salmon... remember, to lose fat you have to eat SOME fat.

15. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    oh, like walnuts? I LOVE walnuts!!!

16. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yep like walnuts... although don't get carried away just because its good for you. There were times on my last cutting phase when I could eat a whole jar of peanut butter, and I tried to reason with myself that "hey its good for me..."

17. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    There's a bunch of "super foods" out there that are really great for you. Spinach, almonds, chicken/turkey/tuna, egg whites, blue berries, BROCOLLI!, cooked tomatoes. And others I've forgotten.

Most of the information I've picked up recently has been from nutritional forums (much like Talkbass). Anabolicminds, bodybuilding, and t-nation are all great resources (t-nation tries to sell you lots of stuff, but the articles are well written). I'd really suggest checking them out if you want an overload of information. This thread summarizes a lot of it though.

And man, Aaron, that diet is awesome. Great work.

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I'll be closely watching this thread. This is something I am VERY interested in.:)

19. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    well, I guess I'll just stop eating all the crap I currently do and start going on long bike rides. OH! and go to the beach alot. boogie boarding and spearfishing is good excercise!

20. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yep... but really really pay attention to the diet. Don't drastically cut calories or you'll be doing yourself more harm than good. You should come up with a sample diet, just like Aaron did, that way you can have a look at calories, carbs, fats, and when the best time to eat things for maximum results are.