Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Absinthe question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does anybody know any credible websites that sell it for a good price?

Thanks in advanced.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Some of my friends are trying to get their hands on that stuff... I hope that stuff isn't as potent as I hear. I don't want my friends doing anything stupid. :(

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    type in "la fee verte" and it should bring up a site in the U.K. that sells it .

5. ditto

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    As far as I know its some kind of solvent that you buy and inhale or 'sniff' as the cool kids call it.

Its so popular for a number of reasons;

1: its 'drugs' so an instant C.F (cool factor).
    2: its not an illegal drug so doesnt disrupt your trendy-cool straight edge tag
    3: its not illegal so when your mum finds it hidden in your safe under your floorboards under your bed in your holiday home in australia you can argue your not breaking the law.

Hippies sell it as festivals. I hope you buy one with piss in it :D.

7. Anything that screws you up is not cool. mm'kay ? Your meant to get high when painting etc, not on purpose. This way its a accident !!

8. well, actually, its an alcoholic drink where people soak some herbs and "woodworm" in grain alcohol. you can find some information im sure by looking through google.

9. Wow, maybe you should read up on things before you try and act all 'smart'.

First of all, you don't sniff Absinthe, you drink it.
    It is a type of alcohol with wormwood. When you drink it, you get minor hallucinations. It's popular over seas around England too..

Also Yoshi, most kids DON'T buy it because it's either too hard to come by, or way too expensive. Mainly adults drink it.

I found a good site for it by the way, thanks to DonZ for the help.

10. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>It's also totally illegal pretty much everywhere except Spain. Read the link I posted above.

11. Argh...I need to get caught up with all the new drug trends;)

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you did read the first part of his post right

"as far as I know"

he readily admitted he didn't actually know, that was just either what he had heard through the grapevine, or assumed based on loose information.

yeesh.

13. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>You're joking, right?

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You'd have to search hard for absinthe which could cause hallucions, or make your own. The wormwood in modern commercial absinthe is purely for the tradition only, you'd have to drink something like a gallon of the 80-proof stuff to get enough drugs in your system. Yeah, some artists and such people used it heavily in the 1800's and saw hallucinations, but that's probably more because they were wasted for weeks at a time than with anything what the drink might have included..

It's still somewhat popular drink even if it's somewhat popular, why? Well, perhaps some just like the taste, or it's just so cool to burn that piece of sugar.. But it doesn't have anything to do with hallucinations.

Oh, and if you are going to drink it, make sure you know the sugar bit.

15. Its legal here in Adelaide :rolleyes: go figure. But many pubs are still hesitant to sell it. You can buy it from bottle shops....

:D:D

Merls

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

http://www.seborabsinth.com/

You can buy it at the link above... they'll ship most places; responsibility is on the buyer to obey the law. :) Note that I've never tried it, though I must say I'm curious.

17. I'm not so sure about that. On a recent return trip from the UK, I stopped in a duty-free shop in Heathrow airport (London) and they had a bottle of absinthe there. It rather surprised me because I thought the stuff was illegal too, but apparently not. I'm not sure they would have let me take it into the States if I'd bought it, but if it hadn't been so expensive I might've taken the plunge...

18. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>I think you will find that the 'absinthe' you can legally buy nowadays is fairly different than 'true absinthe' as enjoyed by Poe et al.

19. Kind of...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.