1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Absolut Beginner needs your Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by einbass, Apr 26, 2009.

1. einbass

einbass

Apr 26, 2009
    Hi all, first of all, excuse my bad english! Im not from the US!

I wanted your opinion on this Bass: http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0310400506 its a Fender Squier Affinity P-Bass

I wanted to get it here in a Set: http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301670095

The Set comes with an Amp, a Belt, gigbag and kables..

Ive never played an instrument before, and i dont know allot about music theory in gernal.

Is that the right thing for a beginner? (i mainly want to play modern-rock like jimmy eat world, foo fighters, blink-182 and so on)

my second question is: can you learn bass by your self? how hard is that? is a learning bass without a teacher not possible?

Thanks! I really appreciate your time.

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    That should be fine for starters. Once you can play some you'll probably want to try out other / nicer basses and more powerful amps. If you can't get a teacher get a book. Hal Leonard has decent method books for beginners. It will help a lot to get someone to teach you some songs. You can certainly learn by ear but a little help will make things faster. There are also web sites that have tabulation for lots of songs that you may be interested in. Welcome, enjoy.

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I inherited the same exact pack from a friend of mine who played it for 6 years before deciding it was time for a better (much better) bass. It did not take me long to appreciate how much of a budget bass it was. You get what you pay for, a functional copy of a P bass. As a starter, you really can't go wrong with it, and in no time you will be trying out nicer basses at your local store. It'll run you a $100 extra, but it's TOTALLY worth it to check out a Squier Vintage Modified. Eventually, when you save up another few bucks, put a new pickup on it and you have a bass to keep for a while! Seriously, they are better than the Affinities for not that much more. Yes, they don't come with an amp, but you can get a pretty cheap practice amp for $50. Again, Affinity and amp = $250, Vintage modified and amp = $350, but I would really recommend that instead!

EDIT: I'm self taught, and although my technique is far from perfect, I can put a few notes together...even played some gigs with friends and got really positive feedback. Took me 6-8 months to get any good, but a year and a half later, I'm fairly proficient. It can be done, nothing is stopping you :)

EDIT EDIT: I forgot! SX does some good things too, for $89 no less! I don't know where you are though, so shipping may be pricey, but if you can swing getting one of those, you can get a great pickup and amp right away and have better setup than most start with!

4. a very good book to learn from is "play bass today" by hal leonard. it comes with a book, cd and dvd for $20.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Ive never played an instrument before, and i dont know allot about music theory in gernal.

If you are between the ages of 10-16 you can do anything and learn to play anything.

I think it gets hard when you try and pick up an instrument when your older. I started playing bass in Bands in 1966, I think I was 12.

blue

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Welcome, and yes to everything. As stated, you'll outgrow that starter pack, so be prepared to dish out more money on a better bass, and bigger amp, if you decide you'll stick with it. A teacher is advisable, but not crucial to learning. At least a few lessons with a qualified teacher will show you proper technique, that you can carry over in your learning expirience. I've been playing for 35 yrs, and I'm still learning. Most of all, have fun with it.

7. einbass

einbass

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, im 19.. should work out i guess ;)

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    So since I started at 22 am I in trouble? :bawl:

9. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't believe in "beginner" basses. A lot of people think there's no point in spending money on a good instrument if you're starting off (the thinking seems to be "why spend a lot of money if you end up quitting after a week"). I, on the other hand, don't think there's any point in spending ANY money on an instrument that won't inspire you to play. If your instrument sounds and plays like crap, you probably WILL quit after a week. The main issue, for me then, is your budget. I would suggest that you buy the best bass and amp you can afford. Look for some deals on second-hand basses and amplifiers. It sounds as if you already know you want to play bass, so make the investment. If, in the end, you decide you don't like playing bass, you can always sell what you've bought. In answer to your second question, yes, you can become a good, even excellent, bassist on your own. This, however, largely depends on what kind of person you are. There are a lot of resources available today via books and the internet. For the kind of music you seem to be interested in, I'd say it's more important that you hone your listening skills than it is to learn to read. Having said this, a good grasp of theory and the ability to read will open up a lot of doors for you. Even a basic knowledge of chord construction will help you immensely in understanding what you're playing. And don't be afraid of theory - you don't have to learn it all at once (I'm still working on it!) - just a bit at a time and you'll be fine. One other thing - although you can learn by yourself, I would find someone who can show you some basic techniques to get you started (hand positioning, strengthening exercises, etc.). This will help you to avoid developing bad habits from the start. Are there any universities near you with jazz programs? Try getting hold of a student who can give you some guidance (students usually won't charge a lot and are sufficiently qualified to give you what you'll need at this stage). Good luck and have fun!

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

No, that age thing is just me, my opinion. I guess you can start at any age.

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I'm not one who believes in "beginner" basses. A lot of people think there's no point in spending money on a good instrument if you're starting off (the thinking seems to be "why spend a lot of money if you end up quitting after a week").

Yeah, I agree, I think this guy would do well with any Fender Bass with good action, used Squire, MIM should be afordable.