Absolute Disaster

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PunkerTrav, Mar 25, 2004.

1. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    :( Tonight we playerd at the local battle of the bands. Everythign was going well until the first song. :rolleyes: The guitarist broke his A string, I though he said E string so I kept playing. We also had no monitors so each of us was playign at our own pace, trying to find the other members. He finally got a guitar from another band. Turns out this guitar was in drop D, which our songs aren't. All in all, complete disaster. If was infront of a couple hundred peers that were looking to hear us play.

I think I'll take a break from public performance for a while.

2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Nope. Hit it again, harder, harder. That stuff always happens at the worst time. You'll work your way through it, its just part of the fun(?)!
  3. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    In my band we would call that a "Train Wreck"

Sure we have bings and dings and roadblocks but we always get through it...about 2 years ago, we had our 1st (and hopefully last) T.W. with Live radio broadcasting & 5000 plus crowd, we were opening for NickleBack. We had a good laugh about it later and moved on...it was a great lesson learned, and thankfully hasn't happened again.

Get your butt back on that stage...and I mean it!
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, I concur. Get right back out there and give 'em hell.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, who's been in the business for more than three days hasn't suffered a train wreck at one time or another.

I could tell you some stories about "my" most embarrassing moments, that'd make your hair stand on end (or curl up, depending on which way it is now).

One time I fell backwards over a floor monitor, and ended up playing the rest of the song looking up at the ceiling. Another time I completely spaced out in the middle of a song, and thankfully someone from the audience started flashing hand signals at me (1, 4, 5, etc). Once the fan broke on my power amp, in the middle of a tune, and the amp would only stay on for 30 seconds at a time, and for some reason the rest of the band kept right on playing (the guitar player did a ten minute solo, I guess he thought he was giving me some time to fix my gear). The list goes on...

Oh yeah, then there was that time the guitar player got thrown through a plate glass window. We won't go there.

Just hang in there PunkerTrav. Look at it this way, some people have to wait years till they can say they've "paid their dues". Sounds like you've already made your investment. :)
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    So the night wasn't a complete loss.......... :D
  6. [SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    well i can tell that on my first gig with my actual band...i broke two strings!!!!!!!! two bass strings! in the same concert!!!!!!!! that's something!...i was using by that time my old yamaha bass which has suffered many years of hard work..
  7. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Thanks guys.. after talkign to some other bands today, it seems we weren't the only ones who had major troubles. The severe lack of monitors screwed about half teh bands up pretty bad. so at least we arent the only band that walked away a fool.

Also, we already got invited to play this guy's birthday party in a couple months. So we'll be back at it soon enough. It'll probably be a differnt band, I play in a blues/classics band and a generic indie rock type band, but I'll be back on stage.
    BTW, it was the indie type band that crashed and burned yesterday.

Thanks again,
  8. It just made the other bands remember when something like that happened to them. Hold your head up high and get right back out there. You'll feel better about yourself than if you were to quit for awhile.
  9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    This is why everyone says "have a back up guitar or bass."
  10. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Yes, you should always have a second instrument at the ready on stage.
    We have been through bad gigs. It happens to everyone. Lack of monitors is a real killer.
    Your next gig will be better, however; you will probably be more nervous before it because you will be having flashbacks fo the last gig.
    Dont let it get to you, get back on that horse.
  11. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    I usually keep a practice bass with 1 or 2 strings missing, just for when I break one onstage I can get thru the song. It really helps you learn your notes if you don't already.It will also teach you to play your parts in different positions. I still prefer a back up on stage.
  12. I was playing normal guitar and singing at the same time once, and for one chorus I played all my chords accidentally one half-step flat. . . and my voice followed. . . needless to say. . . horrible harmonies followed. I fixed it the next chorus though . . . few people noticed except the bass player behind me (actually a guitarist. . . we just traded for the choir concert, sort of). Most of the audience was listening to the lyrics. This is the only reason why a tone-deaf crowd is good.