Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABSOLUTELY SICK TB ATLANTA GET-TOGETHER

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hambone, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Once in a while you get to experience a party that leaves a lasting impression. We got one going here!!!

Smaller than the last as far as turnout but not by much. Geez, JT's new one made up for a couple of instruments that didn't make the trip this time. We are at hour 5 and the jam continues. We gotta thank Luke Emig, a young stud outta Berklee for the skin work. This guys got talent but my credentials aren't up to the praise so BassMonkee, JT, Siff and everyone else will have to bear it out.

Our Guitarist was Michael Burke. He was called away to tend another engagement but his call after only a couple of hours was "Whew" after taking on BassMonkee and a few others.

Don't worry we've got a bunch of it on mp3 video thanx to StingRayGuys wonderful wife.

I'll check in later, as will some others...

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    OHHHHHHHH you guys wish you were here Trust Me !!!!!! my beautiful wife has got video of one of the best bass duets i have ever heard with gard and bassmonkee!! completely insane. gas building to almost deadly levels. WHAT AM I DOIN HERE! there are too many basses for me to be typin....GOTTA GO

3. *Goes and sulks in the corner* :(

4. ...Well?....

[tapping foot, anxiously waiting for pics, soundfiles, and whatever else may emerge.]

Glad to hear you folks are having a wonderful time!

Mike

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    *pouts*

6. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    wow, sounds great, i wanna hear and see all this. geez, i wish there was something like this around me

7. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Hey Hambone...once again, thanks for putting up with us. This was a Sunday well spent in my book. I think I forgot my stand though...Guess that means I "have" to come to the next one to get it back ;) .

2 words and a number sum up my night : Roscoe 7 string. Totally made me forget that there were 2 extra strings. To quote Mr. Burns, it was "excellent". Soybass' Eshenbaugh was up there also.

Always a pleasure to meet the bass folk, not a bad apple in the bunch (although I have my doubts about the intentions of our local crack dealer for bassists, Gard ;) ).

I'll second the coolness of dueling basses featuring Gard and Bassmonkee...and Luke.

8. Okay, you guys come up with the next time, and I'll get tickets ASAP. I wanted to go to this one, but I had a trip earlier this week....too much travelling for me then.

Seriously cool though guys. Pics / MP3's / Blackmail!

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Sounds like a blast....MP3s/videos/pictures available soon I hope. :)

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    DAMMET!!! I am so pissed at my band that I couldn't be there! Instead I spent all of Saturday and VERY early Sunday morning driving around rural Alabama in the middle of Tropical Storm Hanna. I promise you guys I will attend the next!

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sounds like you guys are having a blast...right on! can't wait to hear more...and see some pics...and heck, hear some sounds, too! i'm sure there will be more to follow...i'll check back later. take it easy on the snake wine, guys...that stuff will kill ya

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Wife and i made it home safely. too damn tired to post the clips and such right now. will try to beg (bribe) wife to ge them up tommorrow. thanks again hammy for putting up with us and everybody for being so patient as we all pawed. now off to dream land ......zon.......conklin............zon......eshenbaugh.....conklin..........curbow......modulus...... bass duets...zzzzzzzzzz

13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    *Goes and joins Gunnar in the corner waiting for pics/clips/videos/etc.*

:D

14. I just wanted to mark the thread.

15. Another awesome get-together! Thanks first of all to Hambone and Mrs. Hambone for their great hospitality and.. the food! I don't think I'll need to eat for a week or so.
    The company and the basses were great as always. I got serious G.A.S. jammin' on Stachio's Zon fretless 5. And if I had the cash, lneal's fretless Yamaha 5 would be mine! Great bass. And JT's new one.. words fail me. I couldn't really play it, but just looking at it was pretty cool!
    The jams were cool indeed.. particularly Gard and bassmonkeee. And Luke, the drummer.. wow. Probably the most solid drummer I've ever played with. He's gonna be pretty busy before long, I have a feeling.
    Great to see everybody again, let's do another one soon! Now I just gotta talk my wife into this "I'm not allowed to show up at any more get-togethers unless I have something new" idea. :D

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sorry I had to scoot so soon after dinner, but the Sopranos (and waiting guests) called.

Send my thanks to Luke and Mike. They were great to play with, and it takes a brave drummer and guitar player to walk into a room full of bass players....

Had fun playing with everyone else, too. Gard is the man, and I always try to watch what he's doing so I can steal his licks for after he leaves the state. :D And, I think Dave has a fretless 5 in his future--he sure proved to me he can handle one on Sunday.

The toys were beyond ridiculous this time around. It was an honor to have my little mini tower of terror used with so many wonderful basses. I think it passed the test.

So, what's everyone doing next weekend? :eek:

And, as always, Hammy throws a mean party. From the BeerButt Chicken to the ever present bottle of snake wine (we all know what I think it tastes like....), another successful Talkbass throwdown.

And, I didn't even mention the cake.....

17. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Props again to Hammy and the Missus for letting us invade their home. I hate it I had to bug out so soon. I was having a blast just soaking up the collection of talent in the house! (Teacher, may I be excused, my brain is full!) Can't wait for the next one; I'll be staying longer and hope to have the JohnL home-made super-deluxe-custom Radio-Flyer limited edition 5-stringer finished and ready to show.

18. Thanks to all that helped with the plans and everyone that attended. It's gonna be tough to top this one.

Stachio - We found 1 stand and, thinking it was BassMonkee's - gave it to Siff to return. Maybe you guys could get a PM going to get it back. Sorry!

We had some new faces at this one and their contributions were notable. First was StingRayGuy and his delightful StingRayGirl providing a huge cake (with appropriate logo....mmmmm icing!) and the foresight to make video with decent audio. I'm not saying that we couldn't have done it without you but we certainly couldn't prove that we did it!

Next was LNeal showing up with little sleep having just arrived back in from Canada the day before. It would have been easy to blow us off but he still made the 2 hour drive. Thanx for the tea!! It's obvious that you're one southern boy that paid attention to his momma when she was givin' that lesson. How are your biscuits? :)

The final count has been meticulously tallied by my crack research staff (son) and it goes like this:

Total in attendance: 22
    Basses - 33
    Necks - 34
    Strings - 177
    Shots of Snakewine - 3

And here is my hall of fame for this get-together:

Tallest - Gard's UEB
    Smallest - BassMonkee's Ashboury
    Coolest Vibe - Muggsy's Walnut P (incredible)
    Best use of Materials - SoyBase's Eshenbaugh
    Most Obscure - StingRayGuy's Daion
    Most Desired - Roscoe 7 from Gard

Best quote: While gazing at the incredibly beautiful but substantial bulk of JT's "Wedding" bass, Dave Siff remarks "Geez, it looks like a giant Dove Bar"

And just so that you'll get an idea of exactly where JT's head was at - He completely forgot to bring the delicious (we're told) pasta salad he had prepared for the hodown. BUT,...Did he forget any of his 10 Custom, Double-throwdown, exotic basses - Not a one! He managed to get them all to the party in good order. We expected nothing less. :D

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i disagree with the quote...ask jt about the mouth and rectum quote.:D

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My favorite quote was when LNeal described my original 70's MuTron as "having more stank" than his reissue.