1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ABT /8-string pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bun, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Bun

Bun

Jan 22, 2012
    So, I just won a bid on an 8-stringer, the double course kind, and it has ABT pickups. I've never heard of ABT, and sadly can't find much information about them.

All I've found is that there are ABT pickups in a string of washburn basses, the Force ABT. Force ABT - Bass Gear Reviews at TalkBass.com

Although mine are more jazz looking and slim than that, as pictured.
    Does anyone have experience with the slimmer ABT pickups? And are they any good for 8 string basses? If not would anyone have suggestions as to what would be? Thanks! :D

Attached Files:

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Those are Washburn's own branded pickups. There is no ABT pickup company.

3. Bun

Bun

Jan 22, 2012
    I see. So someone likely switched this pair onto the 8 string.

What i'm wondering is if these are any good for octave basses, or for basses in general? So far it sounds rather lacking on the low end side, and I usually have to crank the lows. On top of that it's pretty quiet.
    Are there better 8 string pickups perhaps? I was considering replacing these.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Are those pickups active?

Ironic as it is, trying to get a good tone from an octave 8-string is how I got into winding pickups. I build an 8-string out of a P bass back in about 1979. The bass had two DiMarzio Model Ps in it. It was very clangy and harsh, and the lows were very thin.

I ended up winding a low impedance pickup, which really smoothed out the top end and gave a warmer bottom.

But what really fixed the bass was making a new neck. I made a 7 piece maple neck with walnut stringers, two truss rods, graphite rods, and an ebony fingerboard. The new neck made it sound like a brand new bass!

So first, listen to the tone of the bass unplugged. How does it sound? I know that's hard with an 8-string. Then if you used warmer sounding pickups, that would help. Barts would be a good choice, as would my Neo Jazzbuckers, but I'm not trying to do an advertisement.