Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Abused dog...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Call, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So. A friend of mine recently adopted a dog from a shelter. The dog was abused, and I'm assuming rather badly. The thing is, because of that, she doesn't take to men very well.

The problem lies within the fact that I've been asked to let the dog out when my friend works long hours.

So... any idea how to approach this? Treats seem to work.

Also. Is Lyme's disease transferable by biting? I totally got bit the other day, and my finger looks a little swollen...

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i have 6 dogs, 2 of which lived on the streets and were abused before they were rescued.

treats are always good. be sure to always put your hand below the dog when you first meet so he/she could sense that you're a good guy.

and if i were you i would not hold up any objects over the dog because he/she could get hostile when they see this. one of mine immediately freaks out when i hold a ruler or a newspaper or something like that.

the dog will get used to you over time.

hope this helps.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks.

Basically, what I've been doing is just being chill. Open palms, facing up, and not making any sudden movements.

It's kind of annoying putting my hand below the dog, since it's a chihuahua. That's pretty low. :D

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    being chill is good. chihuahuas are small but pretty fiesty little things. we have a rescued maltese that thinks he rules all.

5. A friend of mine had a rescued rottweiler. I learned pretty quickly what she thought was a threat. My experience is to keep your hands below it's head. She didn't mind being rubbed under the chin or on the back, or the belly, but if you put your hand on top of her head she would freak.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    if i were you I"d see a doctor if he broke the skin. Might need a tetnaus shot or something.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    This happened to me a couple of years ago. I was taking a co-worker's rescued dog out after work one day and couldn't get the dog to do anything. I'd met him once before, so we thought he'd be used to me by then. Fat chance. I tried treats, toys, you name it, it wasn't working. So finally I opened the door a little bit, thinking that would get him to approach me/the door. Well, he snuck passed me and I ended up chasing him up and down the stairwell for about 15 minutes. I ended up getting her neighbor who was just fine with him. Bottom line is, it will take several months to get comfortable with you.