1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ABY = Phase cancelation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Grissle, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    I'm running my bass into a splitter with one line going through my effects pedals and the other the clean signal from the bass. Both then go to a Morley ABY then out to the amp. Either channel sounds fine on its own but when combined the low end drops out of the clean channel. Is this phase cancelation? If so would reversing the wires in one of the leads fix it?

2. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    It sounds like it is phase cancellation. You won’t be able to reverse the wires on one of the leads, because it will ground out your signal.

There are a few things that might help:
    1. Add another reversed phase pedal to the chain.
    2. Try reducing the bass EQ on the effects. It will have the opposite affect when blending with the out-of-phase clean signal.
    3. Use a blender that has a phase switch.

-Frank

3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The Bigshot ABY (by Radial) has a phase/polarity switch that has done the trick for me in the past. Solid pedal, definitely recommended.

4. Hmm, my guess is you could be experiencing some input impedance load or cancellation problems - I think you’d have better luck using two amps - one for the clean and the other for effects (unless your effect petal has wet/dry blend control - then I’d dump the splitter and ABY boxes and use the blend and one amp).

5. I don’t know how well it would work with the way the OP has their chain? But +1 on the Radial Bigshot ABY switcher being solid - it’s a great box.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Passive mixing will usually have problems like this. Yes the phase is an issue, but you will continue to have problems as long as you use a passive mixer/ABY. Use an active mixer/blender instead.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

+1

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, an active, or buffered mixer is the answer. Look at Lehle products.

9. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Is the Boss Line Selector active or passive?

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Active! A fine choice for a low price.

11. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Big thanks everyone!

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I had the same issue with a passive ABY - trying to save money! Ended up buying the Boss LS2.

13. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    How many active mixer/blender/splitters are there with more than just 180 phase reverse switches? FEA Labs 2-Channel Mixer has the variable phase knob, anyothers sporting the same thing?

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    That's the only pedal-format one I know of. There are some rack and desk mixers with that feature, and a DI or two, but none that are really suited to combining pedal outputs.

15. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I'll go with the boss.

16. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    When I was younger I had a plan to create a product that would allow the two channels of a Fender reverb amp to be mixed. It would include a phase switch. I never implemented this master plan but you can buy an X-Blender than will cover you fine and dandy from Xoitic.

To be honest There's a device called the Schism that also does all this and just looks so great I want to buy one just to look at it.

17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    That sounds really handy. Tune your phasing!