ABY with trails

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BunchyMutt, Mar 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm looking for an ABY loop pedal that allows for spillover/trails. I had my eyes set on this from American Loopers but they just informed me that they cannot build an ABY pedal with trails :eyebrow: :meh:

Anyone have recommendations for any companies that build something similar that allows for trails?

2. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thinking more about this, it'd probably be safe to have a phase inversion switch on one of the channels also

3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I guess you mean more of an effect loop box with a trails? ABY usually just splits the signals, and doesn't have anything to do with returning the signal.

The now extinct Badger Schism does this.

As does the Boss ES-5 & ES-8.

I built a box that does this for personal use as well from a schematic found online. The results are great, but could do better with some tweaking.

Maybe a project for Broughton Audio / Azure Skies?

GentProvocateur likes this.
  4. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Yeah I was thinking the same about seeing if Josh was interested in taking this on. And yes, a loop box that allows for trails. I have a distorted channel and a clean/delay/reverb channel that I need to toggle between, which the Schism does.

But I also need to have the distorted channel feed into the delay/reverb channel, which I don't believe the Schism does

5. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    Please keep the thread updated if you move forward on a Broughton project, I've thought a bunch about an effects loop with trails and would be interested. I'm more likely to go this route than full on ES-5/8.

6. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Funny you mention the ES-5. That was one thing I was also looking at but it's a lot more that what I need right now. I'll definitely keep this updated

7. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Update: Josh can't take it on right now, too many custom builds. The search goes on!

Tbh I'm still a little miffed that American Loopers can't do it, apparently because they "don't have the components". What's the point of having a Custom Builds option?!??!

Ok, flame over. Any other custom builders I should look into? I'd prefer to find one tidy, single loop box rather than two LS-2s or something

EDIT: I've learned that it's more complicated than it seems. Who am I to judge a businesses capabilities :bag:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    There's a simple way to do it, then there is a way to do it which won't dramatically raise your noise floor.

The simple way is to have a bypass looper where bypassing the loop just stops the send but not the return. To implement this you'd need something like a mixer (maybe even an active one) to pull together all the returns as well as the bypassed signal. You would need to increase complexity to do away with noise generated by the 'bypassed' pedal, maybe add something like a noise gate after the return jack. Considering most bypass loopers seem to rely on just a single switch, this build should be substantially higher cost and complexity (at least compared to the $10ish in parts and handful of solders required for a regular bypass looper).

9. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Found this company, Wee Lush FX - the Sooper Loooper looks cool except for not having a phase inversion switch, but maybe that's not an issue.

The shoegaze looper looks convenient also

10. Check Lizard Breath Pedals, they do utility pedals.

Also check Road Rage Pro Gear,

and Nice Rack Canada

I'd suggest when approaching companies to simply describe what you wish to accomplish, and let the builder determine if and how they can do that (be it ABY or looper or ?). You can then decide whether the builder's solution is what you want and give them the cash, or not.

11. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    useful advice. Thanks.

12. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
  13. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Order placed, I'll give an update after it arrives

DrewinHouston likes this.
  14. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    BrBss likes this.
  15. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Maybe I shouldn't have written "buffered". All I know is that Loop Master will build a version of the linked ABY loop pedal that allows for trails.

16. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Is there a term you'd recommend I use instead?

17. Loop Master knows you want trails, right? If so you're good to ...

GO!
    GO!
    GO!
    GO!
    GO!
    GO!
    GO!

18. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I have an American Loopers ABY with trails... Just bought it thinking it was something else, and am getting ready to flip it. Hit me up on PM, maybe we can work something out. Gonna sell it for about 1/2 of new. Its mint.

19. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    shoot just saw that you ordered something! Too bad I didnt get here sooner, could have saved you some $$. Oh well, lemme know if interested still, just in case

20. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ha thanks. That's so weird! I ordered it from Loop-Master because American Loopers said they weren't able to do an ABY loop switch with trails.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2022