Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AC adapter for pedal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Feb 14, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

I have an old Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive pedal for guitar that I bought long ago and it was unused for so many years. I wanted to use it again just to hear how that overdrive works with my bass, but I couldn't find the AC adapter. Besides, the thing where the 9V battery terminals fit is damaged. I'd like to know if I can use one of those adapters with voltage selector and reversible polarity. Another problem is that I don't have the user manual, so I don't know the voltage and amperage requirements for this pedal. Any input is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    You probably can. I've used those before for various pedals.

You know it's 9V, since it ran off a 9V battery; look carefully on the pedal for the polarity symbol. And if it could once run off a battery, the adapter should be able to provide the current required.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, the only info I have is that the adapter's polarity must be tip negative-barrel positive, but I don't know the voltage. I mean, if the pedal uses a single 9V battery, is it supposed that the adapter's selector should be at 9V? And what about the amperage? I saw one adapter yesterday and it reads "500 mA". Is it safe? Thank you again!

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    - If the pedal uses a single 9V, then it runs at 9V. Set the switch on the adapter at 9V.

- Pretty much all adapters can put out sufficient current to power devices that otherwise run on 9V batteries. Remember, the power cord doesn't "force" current into the device; the device draws the current it needs, and that 500 mA is a max. capacity. But even if you ran into a rare case where the adapter couldn't meet the current demand, it wouldn't damage your pedal - it would simply not work correctly (or at all) with that power source.

It's good that you know the polarity. Give it a try - you won't hurt anything (as long as you don't bump the selector to a higher voltage!), and I bet it works.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Thanks a lot, man. I'll give it a try then.