AC Adaptor for Boss ODB3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flea2010, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Hi,

I just got my brand new Boss ODB-3 and in the manual they say you may only use a Boss PSA-Adaptor.
    Thinking that this was just a marketing thing from Boss, I used the pedal with a no-name 9v-adaptor, but when I put it in, a high, noisy sound appears from the amp.
    Is it really so, that you only can use Boss-adaptors or is only that one, that I used, not fitting in?

Thank you for your replies.
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Any old 9v power adaptor will be fine, provided that the polarity is the same and it has enough milliwatts to run it. The noise is probably not being caused by your adaptor.
  3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I find that the Boss adapters crap out on me too much, one rarely lasts 6 months in my rig. I use Morley 9v adaptors now with no problems.

Having said that, I've found that using the suggested adaptor by the manufacturer usually reduces the amount of excess noise in my signal chain. Even when matching volts, polarity and milliamps, I've found that the generic adaptors are lots noisier than the matching brand.