1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AC Guitars build progress.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skelf, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    This is my latest project just started it of this week.
    The top,body core,headplate and the fingerboard all came from Larry at Gallery.

Body core will be Swamp Ash with a Sappy Redwood top and a Quilt Maple back both with a black accent line.
    Neck 7 piece Bibinga/Flamed Sycamore with a Redwood headplate and a Quilt Maple back plate and heel all with accent veneers.
    Fingerboard acrylic impregnated Birdseye Maple.
    Hardware all in black.
    Hipshot Type A bridge.
    Hipshot Ultralites.
    2 ACG Fatbas custom wound humbuckers with coil switching on mini-switches.
    ACG custom pre-amp.
    Schaller straplocks and neutrik locking jack.
    Finish will be 60% lacquer on the body with 20% lacquer on the back of the neck for that smooth satin feel.

comments more than welcome.
    Cheers
    Alan

318755300_2da5c5a0f4.

318755306_1303c268c3.

318755311_c92496471c.

318755307_04abea38e4.

318755304_c5ec9a2c5d.

318755313_e71796be38.

318756799_904dbe58cb.

2. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Really nice!
    I think it would look better without that quilt on the back, I really like the look of that swamp ash..
    Very cool fretboard too! And the black hardware will look killer on this bass..

3. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi Giel
    Haven't seen any new projects from you recently what are you working on just now.
    Alan

4. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Hi Alan!
    I work/study with a luthier lately doing repairs, set-ups, fretwork making coffee etc. :) But that's just 3 days in a week so I have like 2 days to work for myself.. And make this guitar for my first customer, I hope you like it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    As always very nice.
    I wish I could have had the opportunity to work with an established luthier I feel that most of the time I am reinventing the wheel.Not to mention the mistakes I have made which could have been avoided along the way.

6. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    Just a small update.
    The neck has been glued up and the scarf joint sorted out truss rod fitted and the carbon rods glued in the neck has been profiled just the fingerboard to glued on The body blank has been made up and is just waiting for the body to be bandsawed out. The headplate backplate and heel have been cut out and the veneers glued to them. So a fair bit should get done over the next week pics will be here soon.
    Alan

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I really like this body shape. I like how slender it gets in the middle, and how the horns have a more defined, shaped style. Very nice so far! And the headstock most certainly stands out from the crowd. I like it. Nothing is oddly proportioned, yet it takes some bold differences from the usual, average styles.

Oh, and I'm hella jealous of that quilted maple you found! What a perfect figure to it. It looks like the surface of a swimming pool.

Any color scheme? Or just natural wood color after the lacquer? Cuz this thing would just scream with a deep blue body and a light blue dye for the quilt.

8. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    I am really pleased you like it it took a fair number of prototypes to get te shape how I wanted it. It is based on the double cut version but required a fair bit of tweaking to get to work as a single cut.
    We are going for just the wood itself I don't think I could do any better than what is there.
    I have several more Quilt boards all from the same board I was quite pleased when I found that one.

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Let me suggest a test, just in case you dig it. If you have some scraps from that maple after cutting it, get some bright blue wood dye and test it to see if you like the effect. It wouldn't cost too much to get the dye. If you don't like it, sell the dye to someone here!

10. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I have the dye all ready in most colours and have dyed maple before and do like the effect. I usually dye the wood black first then sand most of it back off just leaving the places where the dye has penetrated the most then use the blue over it. I think it gives the finish more depth.
    Alan

11. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Made a start on Andy's bass a 5 string Recurve.
    Body in Black Limba with a Flamed Bibinga top and black veneer accent line.
    Neck 7 piece Bibinga/maple with Bibinga headplate back plate and heel all with accent lines. Again most of the woods from Larry at Gallery.

Hardware in black.
    ACG pre-amp.
    2 ACG custom humbuckers.
    Hipshot Type A bridge.
    Hipshot Ultralites.
    Schaller Straplocks and a Neutrik locking jack.
    Finish 60% sheen lacquer on the body and 20% sheen on the neck for a satin feel.

319719700_204f88a6f2.

330904190_44f54c7745.

330904187_0ea3fed8a2.

319719698_793599b7b0.

12. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    A change of spec for the bass above it is now going to be a Single Cut Recurve.
    Alan

13. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    You go Alan, That Curly Bubinga is way to nice, I think you should package it up and send it to me....LMAO J/K Keep up the nice work, looking forward to more pics.

14. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.

Hi
    It is a great piece of Bibinga from Larry at gallery. I am looking forward to getting some finish on it as I think the flame should come up really well.
    Thanks for the positive comments much appreciated.
    alan

15. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
  16. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    That's gorgeous Alan.....nice work

By the way....did you ever order those buffing balls from Woodcraft?

17. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I did order them but not had a chance to use the yet may try them out on this bass.
    Alan

18. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    :eek:

19. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Got some work done on the redwood single cut.
    The body has been cut from the blank and the control caity routed out and the cover plate sorted out.

338669732_6300c65b67.

338669737_cd0994ea01.

338669738_be8d3fd1d6.

338669739_293fdb5c05.

20. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    That is some wild grain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.