1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AC Guitars Singlecut 5 build thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poptart, Dec 10, 2006.

1. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    I have now got the first pictures of progress on my AC guitars single cut ReCurve ( www.acguitars.co.uk ).

Alan and I have been working on the specs for a few weeks now (Alan is a very patient man) - with many changes on woods etc. Final specs are as follows;

5 String Fretted - 35” set neck.
    Sappy Redwood Top (and matching headstock)
    Light Ash Body core
    Quilted Maple Back (and back of headstock)
    Acrylised Birdseye Maple F/B
    Bibinga/Flamed sycamore seven piece neck
    AC Custom pups - switches for series/parallel and coil taps
    AC Filter based Pre Amp - looking forward to trying this!
    Black hipshot Bridge and Ultralight tuners
    Straplocks and Neutrick locking jack input

I think that's it. Here is a couple of picys.
    Quilted Maple Back
    IMG_1466.
    Ash Core
    ash2811.
    Headstock
    IMG_1467.
    Mock up of bits
    wholetop2811.
    My attempt at a photoshop full mock up
    ACRecurve29_11.

Only three months to go. : - ). So far my experience has been brilliant and Alan at AC guitars is really great to work with. This will be my first custom build for twenty years and I am really looking forward to seeing this bass come together.

I have never used a filter based eq system - similar to Wal/Alembic - so that will be interesting. I have spoken to John East, who will be making these for Alan, and he seems very confident that the system works well and gives a huge range of tonal opportunities.

Also, it will be my first single cut - love them or hate them - I instantly liked Alan's design.

Here are the first pictures of the f'board cut for frets and the neck coming together.
    IMG_1505.
    03a041d4.

Pop in for more updates, and thanks to those on Talkbass for helping me pick the the top.:hyper:

2. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    beautiful.

3. you should make another post in Luthier's Corner
    I stargaze in there all the time
    and live vicariously through you guys that make basses

looks like a winner so far

4. delicious! thanks for the link!

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    man, that is going to be killer!

6. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    Just a small update.
    The neck has been glued up and the scarf joint sorted out truss rod fitted and the carbon rods glued in the neck has been profiled just the fingerboard to glued on The body blank has been made up and is just waiting for the body to be bandsawed out. The headplate backplate and heel have been cut out and the veneers glued to them. So a fair bit should get done over the next week pics will be here soon.
    Alan

7. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Wo Hoo:hyper: Sound good Alan, thanks for the update.

8. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Well Alan has been busy over the Christmas period working on my bass - what a star:)

The body has been glued, left to dry and has now been cut to shape. Alan has also cut out the control cavity and made the cover for it. Alan has also cut out a battery cavity but this is not on the photo.

I am very happy with the way this is turning out:hyper:
    ACTop301206.
    Back with control cover
    AcBackCover301206.

Happy new year to all.

9. fabulously insane! that is quite the pairing of woods! what kind of finish will it get? that subtle quilt on the back will just pop, I bet!

10. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Stew

Thanks for the compliments:) I am going with a 60% gloss finish on the body and headstock. I am glad you like the wood combo - I deliberated over this for some time but liked the contrast between the woods.

11. she is only going to get more stunning, man!

Happy New Year!

12. Woo Hooo!!! Poptart, that is KILLER. :bassist:

Any updates on the finish date?

13. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Joel

Thanks brother;) - I have not pushed for a finish date, but I guess sometime end of Feb/begining of March.

When are you comin over to blighty? Hopefully I can bring it along if I get to your gig:hyper:

14. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I hope to have the bass finished in time for the Basswaorld bass bash on the 17 th of march.
    Cheers
    Alan

15. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Alan

Oh yes, the Paddys day bass bash. Well if I am not working I am trying to get to this as it is fairly local. Are you going to try and make it yourself?

16. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Mark
    I hope to get down. I am trying to get a new model built for it. Fitting it in between yours and Andy's bass.
    If I get it done in time I will be bringing it with me.
    Alan

17. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Alan

Sounds cool - a good chance to showcase your work:) Nothing like a deadline to motivate;)

18. I'm jealous! I'd love to meet some of you guys at that bash who I've been talking with through these posts and see more of your stuff Alan but it's a wee bit too far to travel!

And I'm not sure my wife would let me lay out the coin for a flight away for the weekend... Particularly when that could be my downpayment for a Harlot! :ninja:

19. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi Dave
    I am sure we will meet up at some point.
    Not heard from the other Dave yet is he still wanting a chat about the pre-amp.
    Cheers
    Alan

20. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Alan at AC Guitars has been busy again and here are a couple of progress pictures of the neck/frets and body/neck joint. I have not seen any of these woods in person, but I am liking the maple fb alot:D

I have gone with a 20" radius fb as I have 16" at the moment and was not sure about going totally flat - another interesting departure for me.
    neckfrets27107.

bodyneckCSC27107.

I am not sure if the pictures make the wait harder or easier:(