1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AC jack on RU Bassballs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Jun 10, 2002.

  1. Jeff Moote

    Jeff Moote Supporting Member

    Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I got a russian bassballs the other day, and I love it. I'm still on the original batt, but it has a 1/8" phone style AC in jack. I was wondering, when it says a "9v AC adapter" do they mean an adapter that converts AC to DC (like most?) or just 120VAC to 9VAC ??

    Any ideas appreciated...

    I know how to go about making a converter from boss style tip - to 1/8" tip +... so I don't need help there.
  2. it's 9v DC, the label must be wrong.

    the only pedal i know that uses AC is my Tubefactor.. it uses 12v AC
  3. Jeff Moote

    Jeff Moote Supporting Member

    Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Thanks Allodo... I thought so... off to make that conecter :D
  4. ahpook


    Jul 13, 2001
    sorry to rain on your parade - but i don't think it will work...i tried the same thing on my ruskie big muff and i had to make an isolating plate for the boss-style jack to sit in.

    let me try to explain.....

    if you look at you boss pedal, the power jack doesn;t connect to the body of the pedal...it sits in a plastic insert- you'll need to repicate this on your bass balls. i used a scratchplate i had lying around to make a gusset plate for the jack to fit into, and then fixed this to the body of the big muff (over a predrilled hole)

    am i making myself clear ? anyhow, you may know this already.....

  5. pardon my french but what a load of dingos kidneys !

    have you ever opened a boss pedal ? there is a small wire that is connected to the housing, and guess where that wire leads ? exactly.. to the PCB.. and if you follow the lead it will end up in the DC plug..

    the jackplug as a DC connector is a typical eastern-european thingy i think.. my George Dennis(.cz) phaser/volume pedal has it too.. works fine tho.. no need to change the plug.
  6. ahpook


    Jul 13, 2001
    1. AllodoX - are you always this rude, or are you making an exception in my case ? after 3000 posts i thought you'd be a little more familiar with the concept of netiqutte - if not there are some suggestions here


    please read and digest

    2. i'm talkingfrom my pedal experiences - i tried a direct boss>>mono mini-jack and it wouldn't work - i did some multimeter work and some try-outs and my best solution was to mount a gusset plate as mentioned....why ?

    3. boss pedals run with the centre -ve and the barrel +ve....if you put that into a jack where the shell of the socket connects with the casing of the pedal you're shorting the supply to earth (see why i used a gusset plate ? see why boss do the same ?)

    4. using this method you don't need to muck about with special plugs for each pedal - they all work from your usual 'boss style' barrel plugs.

    ok, that's my thoughts.....i don't think there any need to disrupt what is a perfectly good thread with insults.

    MonyP - I hope this helps.

  7. Jeff Moote

    Jeff Moote Supporting Member

    Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm with allodo... Boss style is tip neg., I want tip posi. so I take a phone jack, connect it's tip's lead to the sleeve of the barrel and it's sleeve to the tip of the barrel (inside).

    This will work, trust me!

    Allodo wasn't rude, he just told you you were wrong, which we think you are. That's ok though, we're all worong sometimes.

    It won't short, because the shell of the jack is not connected to the conductors of the plug except while inserting it :D
  8. ahpook


    Jul 13, 2001
    well, whatever - i don't mind being wrong, i do mind being insulted.

    but that's by the by.

    if this'll work for you, great !

  9. Rude ? me ? :(