Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AC power question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've got a couple pedals I'd like to get AC adaptors for. Good good. Turns out, I have a whole box full of them.

Ibanez PD-7 and Ibanez SD-9.

The PD-7 says "9v 15ma." Good good, but the adaptors (which are 9v) all read like, 200-800ma on their output. Is this going to be a problem with my pedals? I assume the SD-9 is 15ma as well, since both bear the advice of getting the same power adaptor (Ibanez AC-109).

But, in any event, would I have a problem plugging them into said adaptors? and if It's way up there, like, 200ma, would I be able to get one of those daisy chain power cables and put them both on one adaptor/power source (saving space on the power strip)?

2. The adaptor doesn't give the pedal 200-800 ma, the pedal takes 15ma. If you have a lot of pedals being powered by one 200 ma adaptor, and they're combined power draw is above 200 ma when engaged, then you might find some signal degradation. Most Boss pedals take between 30 and 45 ma, so you'd need quite a few pedals to be too much for a 200 ma adaptor.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah. I just didn't wanna put too much juice into my pedals and fry them, was all. So I'll be fine plugging a 800ma AC power unit into a 15ma dohicky. Right.

Thank you.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    In .fact, if you buy (or make) an adapter cable, you can run multiple pedals from the same AC adapter. I took an old 9v power supply, reversed the polarity and use it to run multiple pedals. It is about 2.5A = 2500 mA = ~160 of your pedals :D

5. Ever hear of "Radio Shack"? they have lot's of adapters I've used. Also beware of the negative or positive center post.....it does matter. Other than that get the right adapter from the manufacturer and stop worrying .......Hmmmmm