1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AC to DC

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 29, 2009.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ok so I think I asked this the other way round once, but apparently the Line 6 M9 will run from a Voodoo Labs AC power supply which is all good apart from thats a very big and expensive supply that I have no other pedals that require it, also it doesn't work on other voltages.

But it did raise the question for me, "How hard is it to turn a 9VAC to 9VDC" so that I might find an international voltage AC adaptor and then just daisy chain it between a few pedals using some sort of adaptor before the daisy chain.

Ideas people?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  3. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Why not just get a 9VDC power supply that can provide enough current and daisy chain them from that. Its easy to find, 9V is a common voltage.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Because he wants 9v AC and also 9v DC on the same pedal board. I think.

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Where does the AC conversion happen in this scenario?

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Many power supplies offer AC and DC on the same box. Cioks has some.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You might want to check on the DIago website. Apparently Line 6 products generally run off DC, but have a rectifier built into them to turn the AC power into DC in the pedal. Diago have an adapter that bypasses the rectifier so you can use a normal 9v DC daisy chain with Line 6 pedals. Apparently it works on the modelling pedals - it should work on the M9, but it didn't work on the JM4. That might be because the adapter simply didn't fit.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I think that adapter just reverses polarity - to bypass the rectifier would involve modding the internals of the pedal.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I have done this with a DM4 but was wary of damaging my main pedal by trying it with the M13, also the M13 power supply says 18v on it, but it and a onespot with adaptor for the line 6 jack will power the DM4 so not sure what's going on there.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Correct

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah just looking at the AC Rider but does it work at 230v/110v?

Also the fixed power lead is a bit annoying

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
  13. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Without knowing the pedal in question, pretty much any device that runs on AC (unless it runs directly off the mains) has an integral recitfier. What this means is that it will happily run of DC as well, as long as the voltage is correct. And the correct DC voltage will be 1.4 times the AC voltage + 1.2 to 1.4 volts.

So if the Line6 uses 9V AC it will very likely run fine on 1.4x9 + 1.4 = 14 volts DC, and you can ignore polarity.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Power supply is 9vac 2000ma so I'd need 9vdc 3800ma? So Gigrig Generator :D

15. Rune Bivrin

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    No, you need 14vdc 2000ma. But there's a built-in regulator in the Line 6, so anything from 12 to 18 volts will probably work.

16. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

so for example I can run a pedal thats 9v AC using my Power All power supply unit that runs 9v DC? I'm looking at if i can use the MXR smart gate thats 9v AC with my power supply

17. Rune Bivrin

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Not to be snarky, but what part of 1.4 times the AC voltage was unclear? 9 volts AC will have 14 volt peaks, so that is the DC voltage required. At least for correct operation; it may work anyway. It won't break, so there's no harm trying.

Looking at the manual for the MXR Smart Gate, I can't see that it actually uses an 9 volt AC adapter. From what I can deduce it uses a standard 9 volt DC adapter, and in that case you're good to go.

Side note:
    Using a universal power supply with multiple boxes where some are AC and some DC will probably work, but then again maybe not. You can never know how it will work with a particular pedal without knowing its circuit. It could be using a dual half-wave rectifier to create a split DC power, and in that case you have to feed it AC.

T.Rex likes this.