Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acacia Basses gone bye bye

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Mar 17, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Did y'all know this?

I saw a bass this weekend that looked like an Acacia, but the headstock said FM bass or something.

I was told that Acacia was shutting down but builders who work there are continuing to produce.

It's a shame because Matt Friedman really had some unique designs.

www.acaciainstruments.com

The big news...
    Acacia Instruments is permanently closed down. This web site will remain active but I will not be taking any more orders for new instruments or for repairs. I've enjoyed making your instruments these past 16 years but now it is time to move on. Getting married, and having children changes the way you look at life, and my life is indeed changed. Many many heartfelt thanks to all who have encouraged me, stirred up my creativity, and actually paid me money to play with way-cool woods.

This was fun!

:bawl:

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Actually FM was before Acacia. FM was Friedman & Morgan. When Matt Friedman and Morgan split ways, Matt started Acacia. Now Matt has gone on with his Family life and quite building. So there is No more Acacia.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I saw an FM recently.

That's a pre-Acacia bass?

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Correct, that would be pre-acacia

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Matt has quit building his basses for some time now. I can't tell you the exact date, but I know it was last year. I have two of them. They are very unique sounding basses, and it's sad that Matt has decided to stop building because he was truely one of the best.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Someone said in another thread that they had bought Matt's remaining unfinished instruments and was finishing them. I think the name for the basses after they get finished was said to be "Acacia-Kennedy."

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    some of those instruments are pretty sharp looking. a shame to see a good luthier quit. he may come back, though. here's hoping. :)

8. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I went to the site and saw a small section of the 9....

Does anyone know more about Acacia's nines? Like who owns them, where they are now? and how many were made?

9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I have 2 Accacia basses (maybe FMs?) that i'm trying to dig up specs on. The Acacia site is still up, but there is no contact info for Friedman. I searched both basses for serial numbers, but can't find any. One of them is signed in the cavity by Matt Friedman and Brian Barret. I have pix of them, but I want to send the pix and what I know about the basses to Friedman to see if he can provide any info on these. One has 2 Lane Poor humbuckers, the other has 2 Acacia humbuckers and they are both Emotion body styles with 3-band active preamps (one has a mid freq selector switch and a mute switch and a stacked bass/treble knob - the other is just a three band with boost and cuts). Any and all help on these is appreciated!

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    hey Zulu, wasn't the Acacia shop in Lower Southhampton, Bucks Co. ?

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Matt's email was on the website for quite a while. I suppose he took it off the site now that he's not building anymore. I actually may have his email address still if you'd like it. As far as the serial number goes, I believe on my Acacia's, it is inside the trussrod cover. Check there first, and I'll check on the address.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    one of my friends had an acacia for a while. I loved the design. I wish he'd never gotten rid of it. It was one of the most musical and smooth sounding basses i have ever heard.

13. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    You might try emailing Brian about information. If he doesn't have it I'll bet he will point you in the right direction. www.thelowend.net

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I think so...

15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    The serial numbers for the basses are:

- OCT 3 1995

I emailed the low end for info, but any other info available on how to contact acacia (yes, i checked their site) would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to know the specs on these basses.

16. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Matthew J. Friedman
    Acacia Instruments
    PO Box 162 ~ Southampton PA 18966

Looks like you'll have to send a letter.:eek:

17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    hope i won't have to resort to a letter, but i may. i've been in contact with brian at the low end and he's helping out. we'll see. if anyone knows acacia's email...please post it!

thanks!

18. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm guessing that Matt took the email address of his web site for a reason. It might not be in use anymore. Or maybe he wants people to contact him via usps. For whatever reason, that's the only way I know to get ahold of the guy.

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wow! A zombie thread.

20. the yeti

the yeti Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    not only zombie thread, there's an appropriate place for "gear wanted" or "for trade" content and this ain't it.