Acacia fretboard wood??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Techmonkey, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well for my 5 string project I had a look online and couldn't really find any good precut fretboards (By the way, if you can offer me something, let me know!) but I did find one large piece of acacia which not too far off the size I'm planning for my fretboard. What does Acacia sound/feel like? Bearing in mind it's gonna go on a Wenge neck.

Thanks muchos!
  2. what do you mean 'precut'? I understand 'precut' as a 4x27x0.25" and that's how I get it from Larry. Ebay has lots of stuff too. Are you looking for 'pre-tapered' boards? if so, I suggest you do not do this, since the taper will depend on the nut width and bridge string spread. I suggest you get a board more or less the size I said earlier and taper it yourself.
  3. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I did actually mean pre-tapered - I'm a bit lost with trying to explain myself! I know the fretboard shape varies in so many ways, and that's what made me think about a pre-tapered board. I wouldn't really know where to start getting a precut board. It's just a bit daunting when the shape calculator tells you you need inches at the nut etc - But I guess it doesn't matter to that many decimal points, as long as the nut fits on and the strings don't go off the edge of the fretboard, right? :confused:
  4. i guess that depends... its not gonna technically play worse if youve got 4mm of edge at the nut, and 6 mm at the 20th fret, but it will damn sure look wierd.

is this goin on a neck you made/are going to make, or one that already exists? if you made the neck i cant see why making a fretboard would be such a daunting task, so im going to assume you didnt. i woundnt risk it and id go ahead and try to do it yourself. if your dead set on going pre-tapered though you may wanna give Larry at Gallery a call and he may be able to accomadate you

i hjate to say i know nothing of this wood you speak of... but i know who might, and he may just happen to have this own thread on this forum and his name may or may not have already been mentioned in this post by me ;)
  5. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at his prices!! :D

And yah, I'm making the neck, if I can get hold of a nice piece of wenge - It's for a GCSE project. I got two years to do it, so I guess there's no hurry
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Acacia is the name of a genus. Koa and Aussie blackwood are both acacia species. Both are too soft for use as fingerboards.

Stewart MacDonald sells pre radiused, pre-tapered, slotted boards, don't they?
  7. you could probably still use some if you got one that was acrilicized, i believe there are basses that have spalted maple acrilicized fingerboards, but hes not buying it from anyone that would do that it seems

if your making the neck it wont be a problem at all, most of the time the neck and fretboard are glued up before you cut the outline of the neck so it wont be any more difficult than the making of the neck, in fact it would be a simple part of it.

hope that helps
  8. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Thanks alot! When I'm shaping the neck though, do I need to take in to account the neck pocket section when I'm cutting the taper? So will it matter if the bottom of the neck pocket is thicker than the top part?
  9. by thicker do you mean wider? as in the width of the neck pocket is tapered? yes, the neck pocket is tapered with the neck in most cases(ei standard Fender) so as long as you know where your neck pocket is going to lie on your neck, you dont have to worry about it to much. you have to(obviously) know where your neck and body are going to boolt up so that the neck pocket is wide enough, you also have to taper it so the neck fits snug into the body and doesnt fit ttight on one side but have a couple mm's off closer to the nut. just measure the fretboard on any standard bass at the begining and end of the neck pocket and you'll see what im talking about