1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Academic Article on Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rev J, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    MixBass, hs123 and Bob_Ross like this.
  2. Hey thanks @Rev J I will save that to my Kindle for further reading. FWIW I discovered the wonderful music of Olivier Messiaen through Anthony Jackson, the Symphonic, chamber, Organ Works and his theories on time and harmony are a constant source of study and wonder.

gebass6 likes this.
  3. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Wow- very deep guy. Thanks for posting this. I've always been a huge fan of his, but did not know much about him. What a powerful intellect he brings to his amazing music.

gebass6 likes this.
  4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Studying Messaien seems like quite the undertaking. I remember a few years ago reading in Guitar Player some Metal band did one of his pieces. I don't remember which one I just remember that it had odd orchestration since he wrote it in a concentration camp and wrote for the instruments that he had available. To me it is amazing that Messaen and Django Reinhardt survived WWII being the fact that Messaen was blind and Reinardt was a crippled Gypsy.

As an aside as a 6 string bassist I am of the belief that any 6 string bassist should learn at least 10 Anthony Jackson lines.

C/S,
    Rev J

5. Quartet For The End Of Time. It is an amazing intro to Messiaen's Amazing Music.

NG51 and Rev J like this.
  6. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Thank you! I just put it on YouTube. I will listen to it at the end of my shift at work.

C/S,
    Rev J

NG51 likes this.
  7. I was fortunate to attend a symposium on the music of Messiaen at Southwestern University some years ago. There were lectures, performances and a lot of information at hand.

8. Heavy listening for work and be sure to wiki about the piece very informative. Quatuor pour la fin du temps - Wikipedia

9. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    That was informative. I work as an in home caregiver and usually at the end of the night as I am setting my client up in bed I put on some music (usually Jazz/Fusion) while I work. If this gets too distracting I might not finish it.

C/S,
    Rev J

NG51 likes this.
  10. That is a very serious piece of writing, so thank you for sharing! Anthony Jackson has always been known as a very deep thinker, and the select quotes from him here illustrate this.

11. I have been revisiting Anthony's playing on the Eyewitness First Trilogy CDs, and looking at the liner notes for the BGO set and also the notes on Steve Khan's website. I still remember buying them on Lp and buying the again on CD and again on the BGO set. This music really speaks to me, the openness of the tunes, the interplay and improvisation.

12. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great article by Van Maas. I have copies of the columns from Bass Player mag if you are still looking for them. Any of you are welcome to send me a PM about it.

13. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Thanks for the good read!