Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

accent lamination

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godoze, Nov 13, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    o.k. I am using claro walnut for the top and back and tiger maple for the core. I want to make a 5 piece body so i need to choose the 1/8" accent to go between the claro and the maple. suggestions ?
    fingerboard is coco.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you want contrast, red or orange is about the only thing that will contrast both the walnut and the maple. I would think about padauk. Jatoba would be a little less pronounced a contrast, but that would work well, too.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you don't want too much contrast, purpleheart could be an option also. Or simply stain some maple with whatever color you like.

4. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    It can be hard to get a stain to penetrate maple, even if it's only 1/8" or so. You'll need it to penetrate if you want to use it as a laminate. There are companies out there who do chemical processes that might be able to manage it. I spoke with a company that has a process that works with Box Elder (acer negundo).

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i just saw an incredible piece of wood - marblecake walnut- that i may use. if i do i may redesign the upper bout to show some of it. beautiful piece of wood !

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Pics???

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    this is a pic from ebay. this guy in CA sells this stuff.

8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow, that's beautiful wood. It's almost like cocobolo if you took out the red tone. Nice.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    It is quite striking isn't it ? I haven't puchased it yet but I'm seriously thinking about saving the claro walnut that I have and using that for the top. What do you think ?

10. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    That's nice looking stuff. Definately use it for a top, and definately use something plain for the accent laminates.

Down the road, you may kick yourself for covering up a hard-to-find piece of wood like that.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am starting to lean heavily in the direction of the marblecake top. I can always save the claro for the next bass, right ?

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just spoke to the shop in Ca that has the marblecake. Unfortunately, marblecake is rarely found wide enough to make body wings out of (darn!) so back to claro. though i think that I am going to continue the search for marblecake for the next bass.

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    One option the doesn't need as much width from the lumber would be to do a bass with a center"neck" block, surrounded possibly by stringers, surrounded by the body wings.

For example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    those are sweet looking basses. problem is. i do not know technically how to incorporate a heel block for a neck thru.

15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Unless I misunderstand you, it may be easier than you think. Here's how David King does it. I think there are a few other good descriptions by luthiers online. Plus a book like Melvyn Hiscock's can be very good.

16. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    You can always add a center block and still make a bolt-on. I used Ziricote and could only get a certain width, so I added an ash "strip" creating the illusion of a neck through.

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i could do that if i were building a bolt on...My Smith 6 has a center block. I am building a neck thru. i think i would have to reduce the neck thickness to half and then laminate that piece of material on the top of the neck where it goes thru the body. :confused: