Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

accent veneers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jan 31, 2005.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
  2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Lots of builders use those LMI veneers.
    They are a bit like paper to handle, but they work fine.
    I generally buy real wood veneers or cherry, maple and walnut now.
    Laurence

3. I usually buy my veneers from ebay vendors. I can get great pieces for pennies of their usual retail and I don't have to buy but a few square feet at a time. As far as width, I just shop until I find the right stuff - it's always there.

4. You can also check www.constantines.com
    1/16 and 1/8th
    I haven't personally tried them yet but I got a gift certificate for the holidays, so I will soon.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

5. I recently (last week) purchased some very high quality wenge veneer (like 25 sheets or so) size 24x7, so using 2 pieces I can put a backing on the top or back face of the instrument to achieve the accent line. Very fair prices too.

It's a guy on ebay, thinwood or something like that, just search 'wenge veneer' on ebay.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Besides wenge, what veneers would make good "pistripes" for an accent? What woods are dark enough, I know ebony would be great, and wenge, but is there some other species out there that is real dark?

7. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    So, I consider myself a worthwhile eBay shopper. I'll find some dark veneer to work.
    My next question is:
    How do i get the veneer to not 'slip' while gluing up 2 pieces together?
    Do you guys usually glue all 3 parts up at the same time? (IE...body core + veneer + Top laminate) or do you glue the veneer to the top laminate, etc.??
    I'm just afraid of ending up with a gap between the 2 veneer sheets, as I'm all too familiar with laminates 'slipping' while gluing them up.

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's mine. Leave it alone! :D

9. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    $15 dollars for shipping though, think I'll pass..

10. I use a cold press veneer glue called "Better Bond" that I get from the Joe Woodworker site. It's specially formulated to help with keeping the veneer from slipping. It dries to a hard film and won't migrate or lift after curing either. My newest build - you've seen the pics of the multi-lam veneer body - had 5 thru the body layers of veneer beween the top and the back all done at once. That was too much but even then, I only had less than 1/8" of movement. I should have done it in another order but I was afraid of not getting the stuff to lay flat enough if I did it in 2 stages. Live and learn.

Other veneers that are dark enough - Makore-red, English Walnut-dark brown, Sapele-medium tan, Bubinga and Redwood.

11. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    thx for the tip, Hammy!

12. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004