acceptable college basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tbassist4, Oct 22, 2006.

1. I've asked here a few times about what basses to look for for college, but I was wondering, on the whole, what kind of bass is a good college-acceptable instrument? I mean price range, type (specifications), and even brand if there are recommended newer ones, and where I could get one, haha.

I'm thinking of a UB Hawkes Hybrid, because $2,600 sounds really nice for a new hybrid bass with a solo fingerboard, and it has excellent reviews here on TB. I haven't heard one negative comment yet. I was also considering a New Standard La Scala, but those are just too expesive, and too small as well. I'm looking for a solid 7/8 size, and a large 3/4 Hawkes seems to be close, although, I would hope that they could customize a 7/8.

Anyways, where do colleges usually draw the "you can't bring THAT bass within 500 feet of this auditorium" line? I currently own an unmarked ebay-bass (presumable a Devilli, which I know is some very cheap chinese brand), that has gone under some serious overhaul, and has actually turned into a very nice instrument. The luthiers that I go to say that it's worth the money I paid for it and put into it, which is just over $1000 total. Would this be acceptable in college?

Anyways, comments, suggestions? Thank you very much!

2. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    It all matters where you go to college. I have friends in college who can't afford a good bass and use the school instruments.

I'm in a conservatory and my bass is an under 5k chinese instrument. I have a friend here whose dad made his bass and I have another friend with a 50k Italian bass.

Its not the most important thing in college whether or not you have a good instrument. You're a student, not a section player in the NY Phil or CSO, so you aren't going to be judged on your instrument.

The main thing is, does it play. If your 1k bass sounds good and you can't afford a decent quality instrument don't worry about it. My advice would be to save the 2500 you have now and keep saving until you're almost done with college and then get a good bass for grad school auditions or other things.

Like I said most colleges have a collection of basses. So don't fret about it.

3. I'm looking at Colorado University at Boulder, is anyone familiar with the music program there, and with the orchestra?

4. When I started college I didn't have a bass. I sold my ply wood bass and used a school bass for two years. I was planning on getting a bass the summer before my senior year but I was forunate enough to get a bass from someone that would let me pay in installments so I got the bass the summer before my junior year.

5. Playability is more important than tone. You're better off to have the cheapest, lamest bass in the section with a killer setup on it than to have a somewhat better bass that's harder to play. I mean, consider the fact that you're going to be practicing for hours on end, every day, learning new material both orchestra and solo, etudes, probably big band or something, maybe playing some gigs... If it hurts to play, it's going to be no fun. And believe me, it's better to be the guy with chops and a cheap bass than the guy who can't live up to his expensive instrument... :rolleyes: Plus, a cheap bass is a lot less stress to haul around in the rain, in cars, on busses and to leave around campus. Oh, and get a good U-lock, the kind bike messengers use; that way you can lock up your bass somewhere out of the way and go eat luch without either worrying about it or dragging it with you... :bassist:

6. i just bought a hawkes hybrid about a month ago, very solid, great playability and amazing tone. its coming to college with me :) i wrote a review thats floating around here somewhere, its an amazing bass for the money, i love it.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    While I wholeheartedly agree that proper setup is paramount, I give greater weight to the quality of the instrument than some who have posted above. A higher quality instrument will "speak" much easier and thus allow you to develop tonal qualities that an inferior instrument will not. Setup aside, you will fight with an inferior instrument trying to coax from it those desired tonal qualities. In addition, a higher quality instrument, being more pleasurable to play, will encourage you to play longer and more often. Thus, if you can scrape together the $$$, by all means go for a better bass, especially considering how serious you are about continuing your studies.

I don't know where colleges, in general, draw the line but I am quite confident that if a line exists it is far BELOW the quality of a Hawkes Hybrid! The Hawkes Hybrid s a great deal. I suspect you would love one.

8. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Agreed with the previous statement. I am currently at University of Illinois. I have a Lemur Sunrise Laguna, and let me tell you, that bass, for its price, is absolutly steller. Not only does it look stunning, but it also sounds better than a lot of basses in its price range. Now I am not an affiliate with Lemur, I just really think their product is worth mentioning.

Again, IMHO.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021