1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Accesorize? Custom wall mount...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, May 7, 2006.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    While sitting aimlessly in the garage pondering, I decided to make a custom wall mount for the bass I'm building. Plus I'm using the wall mount to test out this rattle can lacquer I bought....
    It came out a bit smaller than I was anticipating, but It'd be fun to make some larger, cooler shaped ones in the future. Maybe it will help prolong my first customer's agony of having to wait so long for his bass.
    It's figured bubinga on top of myrtle wood.

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Looks cool. They would look great if they matched the bass they were holding.:D

3. maybass77

maybass77 swm

Feb 26, 2006
    southeast michigan
    I had a thought once of making a wallmount made out of a hand casting. I guess you could make it out of an acrylic resin or something of that nature.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    [feeling incredibly stupid] How is that a bass wall mount? a triangle, two screws, a drilled hole... :confused: ... is it a hanger of some sort?

5. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    It propably has some magnets hidden underneath the wood ;)

6. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    LOL. It is a pretty stoopid little thing. But it looks better than the cheesy maple rectangle the hanger comes with.
    THe hanger (actual part the guitar hangs on) screws into the big hole in the middle there. Guess it's time for another pic.
    Magnets, heh.

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yeah, I guess there was a bit of a functional piece missing in the first pic. ( :rolleyes: for me)

Looks nice. But-- the original wall plate had its highest mounting screw a good distance above the lowest point of the plate. This is important to keep. It counters the rotation developed by the weight out on the hook. Without that, the way you've got it pictured, the prying force that will either pry your two screws right out of the wall, or crack the bracket.

It might be OK though, if you turn it upside down, with the screws above the downward point. But I wouldn't feel safe about it unless the point were an inch or two longer, and wide enough to have some strength to it.

8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Yeah, it's definitely not the best design, just bored late at night in the garage.:meh:
    A good way to use up some scrap wood though.

9. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    So how did the rattle-can lacquer turn out? Is it worth checking out? Brand?

10. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I was wondering the same thing, so don't worry. ;)

11. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm using a gloss lacquer from Deft. It's.....well....glossy. I'm actually using it on a bass right now, and have about 6 or 7 coats on. It makes the wood pop more, which is what the guy wanted. Seems to be working fairly well.....the only finishes I've done before is oil & wax, so this is all new to me.
    Anyone know of a good buffing compound for lacquer?

12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    What I had come up with, was this triangle thing was going to be mounted floating of the wall by half an inch on some standoffs, then the back of the bass would have a similarly shaped slot in the backside, so it would key into it...

not that I think too much or anything. :rolleyes:

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Liar!

It seems those of us who somehow swears by physics had a similar thought... May be that we think so much???:confused:

14. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Wow, maybe I shouldn't have posted that second picture. :eyebrow:

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Wet sand up to 2500p and then finish with 3M medium rubbing compound. after that, really make it shine with some Mother's car wax

16. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Wall hanger for many basses. :meh:

bigmoose1.