Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accessing Older Forums/Threads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Commreman, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Do any of you know whether or not it is possible to gain access to any of the threads that were originally posted in the "Ask Mike Dimin" area, which was closed some time ago? The information there was unbelievable, and one of the main reasons I signed up. Access to the old Jeff Berlin stuff would be a treat as well. Any help or information is appreciated!

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This would be more of a Misc kinda thread..........

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm sure you can find interesting things if you make a search in Mike Dimin's forum while keeping your topic as broad as possible.

Jeff Berlin was a regular here some five years back, but he got into a lot of arguments because of his opinionated views. I remember a huge fallout because of his opinion of metronomes, for one. After much acrimony, he (and Dann Glenn, who was also here) deleted all his posts and split.

That was an interesting time, for sure.

4. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks. Since Mike's forum is no longer active, how would I access it? In using the search function, should I just use his name?

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Jeez, I never noticed his forum was closed. I never checked it, so I assumed it was still there!

Yes, check for posts by him. I don't know if that will work.

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    is there any way to view the jeff berlin debates? archives perhaps? i can picture those being pretty funny and getting pretty heated.

7. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've run a search, and haven't been able to get to the Mike Dimin threads. How do we get to the archive of the closed stuff?

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Sorry, Commreman. If they're not there, I don't know what to suggest.

What part of "he deleted all his posts and split" do you not understand?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was there at the time and I found it very sad and distressing that a great pro was basically "hounded out" of the forums, by a few ignorant 'nonentities'!! :meh:

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    deleted. and posts. and split.

while your at it, look up "worth a shot" and see whats there. Obligatory smilie;)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, well Jeff could use a little improvement in the interpersonal relationships category, himself.

12. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Tim -

Thanks! I was hoping you would chime in. What I was specifically looking for was a lot of work that you personally did in that forum in terms of posting "scale forms" and positioning. It was a great cooperative effort between you and Mike. You had posted a few MP3 files in that thread that I was trying to get to. Do you still have those files available?

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I'm sure we could get countless non-entities who will be "nice" to you.....:meh:

I'd always rather talk to somebody with the experience,something to say and confidence in their convictions.

But anyway - if Paul invites somebody here for their expert credentials - then surely it's up to TBers to be hospitable and polite to that person ...!!??

I read all of those forums and I can't remember Jeff saying anything rude or offensive - controversial maybe - but it was the ordinary members who acted "badly", as far as I remember!! :(

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    during those times, I thought Jeff should just "understand" how idiots who hide behind screen names will/can act. But, unfortuntely, now I understand all too well

Mike