1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Accidently bought a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mebsuta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mebsuta

Mebsuta

Mar 16, 2014
    Here, I found this late Foundation with VFL pickups and ordered it. You know that feeling when it shows up, and there's that big box on the porch: "Yes!"

So I drag it inside, lift it out of the box, peel away the bubble wrap and realize there are no frets.

"My God," I thought. "What is this?"

At first I wanted to return it, but I started playing with it and I like it. I has flatwounds and I have never had those before. There are less overtones and it doesn't sound like a tank, so it's different. It also has kind of a natural chorus sometimes. It has lines on the fingerboard, so I think it was made as a fretless and not a conversion.

I don't care about mwah, I just like the way it sounds without all the clanking. I'm pretty bad anyway so who knows.

Geezer Butler said he played a fretless Rickenbacker on Johnny Blade (Never Say Die), which I like. You can hear it on the part where the song slows down in the middle. He does this descending slide sometimes instead of following the guitar riff. Now I have to keep it and play that song.

The End.

[​IMG]

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Making lemonade!!!!

Sweet bass.

Fat Freddy, murphy, dbsfgyd1 and 15 others like this.
  3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Accidentally read this post! ;) (Just kidding). I need to play a fretless one of these days - maybe even buy one, so I could KEEP playing it...

4. Now you can take a path you never expected.
    If it doesn't work out, just send it to me. :D

5. Be careful. Next thing you know you might "accidentally" buy an upright bass.

Rick B.

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The “natural chorus” is the mwah.

7. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    It’s not an accident.

It’s a sign...

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Oh no!
    Now your only recourse is to play it and have fun... ;)

9. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    There's a fretless Foundation for sale near me. Been eyeing it...

Have fun!

- John

10. Looks like a Foundation 2000. Those are pretty nice, grats.

Wait....are those reflections in that pic, or is it one of Peavey's oddball exotic paint jobs like their "eeri-dess" finish?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

coolvirgin69 and staccatogrowl like this.
  11. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Possibly the best mistake of your life.

12. That's a good bass. The only reason I don't play mine more is the excess of writhing I do on stage in my current gig.

Real Soon likes this.
  13. Accidentally buying a fretless is like accidentally finding $100 on the ground. Accidentally buying the car with more horsepower. Accidentally meeting a beautiful woman who digs you....

14. Mebsuta

Mebsuta

Mar 16, 2014
    It's a reflection of a bare tree.

I'm glad you guyz like it.

bassicg, jmhaslip and staccatogrowl like this.
  15. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I’m giving props because I don’t believe I have ever seen “Johnny Blade” mentioned in any other post.

16. Is that what it is?
    I get a mild effect on my Ibanez fretless that fits this description; could be chorus, could be flanger, but I put it down to an oddity of the pickups. It certainly doesn't sound like the strings buzzing against the fretboard, but maybe that's what happens when it's only doing that slightly.

17. One of us! One of us!

18. I love the sound of a fretless! Can't play it, though. Yet.
    But getting one is on my wish list. When I get better. *goes back to practicing*

19. Playing one is a great way of getting better!

I'm helping, I promise :)

bassicg, tfer, Ghastly and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ha! Well... I'll see what I can do!

bassicg and equill like this.