1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Accidently moved strings up a notch, Labella's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thobbinghotrod, Aug 31, 2008.

1. I just bought a short scale Less Paul style bass, it had old tape wounds on it that sounded good but wouldn't stay in tune.

I got a set of Labella 760 flats and started putting them on, starting with the E string.

When I got down to the G string I reached into the package and pulled out the biggest monster cable I've ever seen,:rolleyes: my heart sank because I realized I had put the A string were the E should be, the D were the A would go and the G in the D spot. I just left the old rotosound on the G location.

I played the show last night with the bass that way and it's the best sounding, best feeling machine in the world. I got more compliments on my sound than ever before.:smug:

I don't really have a question other than will this cause any problems I haven't considered?

In the end I'm really glad this happened because the tension is perfect for me and it plays so nice. I'm going to leave it this way unless there are any reason not to.

2. Well, you might need to adjust the truss rod and intonation. Otherwise, it should be fine.

3. Wow.
    If it works for you, maybe just a little tightening of the truss rod.
    :)

4. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    how did you tune it?

5. Wasn't it easier to put the strings in the right place than to play a whole show without the low E and two Gs?

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I think he tuned standard with a Rotosound as the G in the set.

You might be able to get another lighter gauge string from LaBella though.

7. It's not like he tuned it ADGG. It was still EADG, but the gauges were off. Plus, after you cut the strings, you're kind of stuck.

8. yes exactly, after you cut the A string to fit in the E string space, you're stuck.

I tuned it to my normal E A D G, and yes, since I couldn't use the E as a G I was forced to just leave the old string in that location.

9. I think I should buy a really light gauge Labella to even things out. Does anyone know were I can buy one?

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Juststrings maybe, or contact LaBella directly.