1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Accidents Will Happen" - A YouTube Bass Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbiscuti, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well of course I like the Precision the best. Bruce's bass lines on anything but just doesn't sound right :)

btw what do you think of the Hofner Club? I was contemplating getting one though probably the Icon.

3. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    I absolutely love it! I had a '66 Club, and even though that was a wonderful bass, this is just far more gig-ready. Tough finish, center block, good weight, no feedback issues. I would HIGHLY recommend it. I waited and waited and finally got one for about $430 shipped on eBay. Keep watching for them.

4. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Ditto on the Precision. I've owned a couple dozen basses, about half of them P-basses. No matter what I try, I always go back to the Precision.

5. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Nice job on the video...real cool idea that I'm sure took quite a bit of work

My vote is for the P bass...and thanks for bringing some attention to Bruce Thomas...often overlooked IMO

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Precision ftw. Like this vid alot. I think the Hof' is a close second.

7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I liked them all -- do I have to choose?

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The Precision was probably my favorite.

9. Club bass then the p-bass. Nice playing!

10. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    This has to be one of the coolest playing-along videos I've ever seen. Geez, great job man! I'd vote P as well (though I've been obsessed with the Sterling tone the last few weeks on just about everything).

11. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Your video shows why I really love Precision basses. A very nice comparison, thanks for taking the time. The Ric was tasty too.

Surprising how much attack you got out of flatwound strings.

12. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Very cool vid and playing - I liked the Hof a little more than the P-bass.

13. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Guys thanks so much for watching!

I have to say the Precision was my favorite. I really love the E/A of the Stingray but gosh, it gets so wimpy in the higher register.

Don't know what's going on with the Rick. It shouldn't be THAT hot. I may have to mess around with pickup height a bit.

FWIW, I use all these basses in a very busy and popular NYC-area cover band. I have used nothing but flatwounds for at least five years. FWIW, we mostly play 90's dance music. :)

14. Great video. The Jazz for me!!!

15. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I faced the same issue with my Classic Sterling -- only nit in an otherwise perfect bass. I raised the pickup on the treble side and lowered a bit on bass side, which helped a lot. Not 100 percent, but better than it was. Also found that string change from EB Slinkys to DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams helped for some reason. Not to go off topic, just wanted to note.

---

>>> I really love the E/A of the Stingray but gosh, it gets so wimpy in the higher register.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Nice instruments man. Good playing.
    I gotta go with the Precision. I'd like to have heard what the Jazz sounded like being plucked over the front pickup.

17. smur89

smur89

Jul 29, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Great video, really enjoyed it.

I'd say, in order, P Bass >> Rickenbacker >> Hofner for me!

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

All I know are P-basses. Living a sheltered life in the basement.

19. miguel2u

miguel2u

Mar 6, 2007
    Nice comparison. I liked the Jazz the best.

20. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA

Thank you - that is how I ALWAYS play the Jazz, but I was getting some nasty clicks from the strings hitting the polepieces (I tend to dig in hard). Live, this doesn't really happen, but for whatever reason, the DI wasn't having it.

There is no doubt that the Jazz would have sounded better that way.