1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Accomplished Metal Bassists who use Picks!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    I've used my fingers since day 20, but recently I came accros this on Youtube:

The tone in the beginning is amazing. So im contemplating if i should try picks again. I need some more convincing.

Post them, and if you can, throw in a youtube link.

Thanks!

2. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    These are going to to be obvious people but I love them!

Jason Newsted

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Mike Dirnt

anyway, picks rock, go for it x)

5. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    i cant believe I forgot this man!

John Campbell of Lamb of God.

6. I've seen John Wetton of ASIA (formerly of King Crimson) twice, both times he was using a pick. I've seen Stu Hamm and Dave Larue use picks, depending on venue.

My favorite bass tone is from QUEENSRYCHE bassist Eddie Jackson, whom records with a pick and plays live with fingers.

Personally, I switch back and forth, depending on the need and the speed.

Absolutism is an endeavor of elitists and the week minded - All too often, they are one and the same. Jamie Mac

7. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I don't know but I think this bass player/vocalist who uses a pick (though in the very beginning he didn't) would be considered 'accomplished' ;)

I play thrash metal and I think that a pick really lends itself to very clean fast basslines. Even people who listened to the Cliff Burton bass tracks from Ride the Lightning when they could hear it by itself all of a sudden thought it sounded sloppy. Fingers just can't be as articulate for SOME bass lines... BUT, as Tom Araya showed in the beginning when he used his fingers, finger style can very quickly jump all over the strings and be very fast, just not as articulate IMO...

Tom_Araya.

[​IMG]

8. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009

9. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    do what u like man... and i can bring a finger assault that my speed picking guitarist couldnt keep up with.. loud and clear too btw

10. Liam Wilson from Dillinger Escape Plan.

11. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    if you're open minded enough, I can also name Taiji from X JAPAN

he's the ultimate Metal bassist to play with a pick!

1209001853_f.

12. Mutato

Mutato

Oct 15, 2008
    Dan Lilker is a favorite of mine.

Blacky from Voivod as well.

13. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio

Every time I saw Queensryche he used a pick....I even have some of them.

There are plenty of good pick players. In fact in the hard rock and metal scene HALF of the guys in big name bands use picks.

14. Justin Chancellor from Tool

15. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    When I saw them in 88 with metallica on the operation mindcrime tour (and justice for all) he used his fingers, he stood right in front of me (I was right at the fence.) Oh and then when metallica went on Jason Newsted stood right in front of me too :bassist:

16. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    Interesting. to be honest when i saw them on The Warning Tour I wouldn't have noticed because I was purely a guitartist at the time....and Geoff's vocals were the type you couldn't NOT watch him.

However when I saw them with Judas Priest a couple summers ago I noticed he used a pick the whole time. I even got 2 of them as he was right in front of us and we were in front row. There are photos on the net of him using BOTH....so maybe the setlist for the Priest tour was such that he needed to use the pick.

That is what can get so confusing in the pick vs fingers debate. So many guys do BOTH.

17. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    Beat me to it, fantastic player

18. Mutato

Mutato

Oct 15, 2008

With Kiss at the Coliseum?

I was there.

19. BassB

BassB

Apr 7, 2009
    In general, I like fingering better.
    But some things work only with a pick - Motorhead, for example.
    If you wanna play fast, pick is the easy choice. If you can train your fingers to be super fast, that's better in my opinion. But when I wanna fool around, I play with a pick. Myung (Dream Theater) switches all the time, but he plays mostly finger. He is rather quiet, but he is good.
    Trujillo almost never played pick, and he's super funk-metal.
    Pick can sometimes suit for Metal, like in Ellefson's, Lemmy's, and sometimes Burton's (He played fingers in some songs, like Phantom Lord) case.
    Do what feels right to you.

P.S. I HATE DEATH METAL. everything I say doesn't apply on death metal.

20. Joey DeMaio of Manowar is a very good pick player