1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

accopustic-electric strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rune Weber, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Rune Weber

Rune Weber

Jul 19, 2003
    California
    I have an Ovation accoustic electric bass I hav e had the original bronze strings replaced with Fender tapewrapped and with a set of Fender bronze accoustic strings (have had the bass for two months) so far the sound sucks (I realize that it is not an electric, but I have heard a couple of street players using a-e's that did not have a dull crappy sound. When it is plugged in the sound is very nice-especially with the tape wrapped. What are my alternatives when I play unplugged?

2. melon

melon

Sep 26, 2004
    Ovations that i have played unplugged HAVE sounded very dull. In fact, most accoustic basses i played sounded dull or without decent sustain. Small body - Small sound. :)

regards
    the melon

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a Michael Kelly, and found the same lack of thump. It's not a dull sound... just a small sound...

By itself, it has a great, warm tone, however it's still a small body, as compared to a Double Bass, or a Guitarron. I run mine trhough a tube-based mic pre-amp, and then usually into a small 30 watt amp or direct into a sound system. Same rich, warm tone, but amplified.

4. rolnaldo33

rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    i play a michael kelly frettless and to save the frettboard i opted for tapewound strings. they pretty much have no sounds whatsoever unplugged but they sound awesome plugged in. i have yet to find a string that does best in both worlds (they're la bella's tapewound btw)