1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

accoustic bass guitars that can actually keep up while unplugged?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narcopolo, Dec 13, 2006.

1. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    any recommendations? mine can't even hold its own with an accoustic guitar . . .

2. Tacoma

3. A friend of mine has a US made Tacoma Thunderchief he wants to let go. Let me know if you are interested.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That would be a Double Bass!! ;)

<-----See up and left !!

5. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    none

6. compare the volume of an acoustic instrument between strumming and playing like a bass, aint gonna happen bud

7. OnlyMe

OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    +1

The only thing that cuts through unplugged is an upright.

8. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    +1 =2

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I played my Tacoma unplugged at a Thanksgiving party with 4 guitars, conga and harmonica. I had to use bronze strings and a pick to be heard, but I was heard. I don't like the tone of the bronze strings, but I traded tone for volume. My wife was on the other side of the room and heard it fine. I got a lot of compliments on it.

I've also played upright at a couple of those kind of parties, and it is louder (when I play mine, when I play my friend's 50s Kay it isn't as loud as the Tacoma, he thinks it is a poorly set sound post), but the Tacoma works fine and is more convenient.

10. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Any acoustic bass can be heard using proper technique. You can't play it like you do with the electric and expect it to cut trough. Picks help, plucking hard like you'd do on an upright helps. I play mine in a band with two guitars, percussion and a singer and I can be heard just fine.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Years ago, I used a friend's Martin B 1, and it cut through fine. I had to put my right hand closer to the bridge where the strings were looser, and that give me a little more presence.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. Play more precussively. Like a stand-up. I have an Epiphone/Gibson "El Capitan". Sounds even better with new strings.

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a Fender BG29 I think that's the model anyway. It doesn't do loud very well. We did an unplugged thing at a radio station in Baltimore and I had to compete with two acoustic guitars and a shaker. I played with a pick and cheated my vocal mic down a little to pick it up better. The pick really allowed me to play harder near the bridge without bottoming out.
    I do like the Fender for just sitting around the house and coming up with ideas. I have also used it on acoustic gigs but plugged into an amp. It feeds back like crazy.:(