Accoustic bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jun 30, 2001.

1. hey people
    i'c decided to purchase an accoustic bass, but i'm not really sure what make, type etc
    could people please maybe give me some suggestions/recomendations?
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Hey, Si-bob, welcome to TalkBass. Congratulations on your first post! So you need help with <B>ACOUSTIC</B> bass eh? Well how much is your spending limit? Try out some Tacomas, Martins, Fenders... etc.. i realy liked the Martins.. very nice and tight strings, very nice tone.. easy to play etc.. etc.. but go to a store and try them all. everyone has different tastes..

good luck!
  3. tnx man
    i have a budget of about £300, so as u can see its gonna be quite a lower range one
    also, because i obviously play electric bass, i'm looking fer a thumb rest above the strings, i'v seen it on the warwick alien, do u know of any other accoustic basses with a thumb rest
  4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I haven't really played a ton of acoustic basses, but I have played enough to know that Fender makes a hellatious one. I know Mars Music carries the Fender BG-29 acoustic-electric bass, which is a really nice sounding one. I'm pretty sure it costs around $600, which, IMO it is well worth. Check it out (from

Fender® BG-29 Acoustic-Electric Bass Guitar
    Model#: 0952900306 Sku#: 172734
    Product Description:

Looking for that "unplugged" sound and feel in an electric bass? Do you demand Fender quality and heritage? The BG-29 may be just what you need. By combining hollowbody design with piezo technology and active electronics, this forward-thinking acoustic/electric bass produces a whole new genre of bass tones. Whether you're doing writers' nights, acoustic gigs, or just searching for a new sound for stage or studio, the BG-29 is the modern alternative to traditional electric basses.
    The BG-29's full warm tone is the result of traditional acoustic-style construction techniques and materials consisting of a maple back, sides, and top and a Nato neck with a rosewood fingerboard. A shallow-body cutaway lets you access upper frets, and a piezo pickup is placed out of sight under the acoustic-style bridge giving the BG-29 a traditional acoustic guitar look. Fishman's active Acoustic Matrix drives authentic acoustic tones straight into the board. Fender designed the BG-29 to deliver modern acoustic/electric bass sound via a conventional looking and playing acoustic guitar and delivers right on target. Includes gigbag!
    Hope this helps!
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    you can always add an thumbrest yourself.. yeah sometimes you want a thumbrest.. but you know? if you don't have a thumbrest, it makes you do the floating thumb more, which requires more technique.. but in the end, you'll love yourselif for learning it.. try it without the thumbrest, it might be better off for ya :)
  6. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001

I was just about to start a topic similar to this...

Most acoustic basses here are 400$ which (at the mo) is way past my limit..

But, these basses all have pickup's. Is it possible to get an acoustic without a pick-up? Or would it be to quiet?
  7. tnx peops fer the help.
    i already do the floating thumb technique quite a bit, but obviously i don't want a bass that limits me to one technique, so a thumb rest would be nice :)

i think all accoustic basses have a pickup, u can play them unplugged and there fairly loud, but fer gigging situations u gotta plug in!
  8. i just checked out the fender site, and i have to say, i much prefer the look od the BG-32
    just my 2 cents (or pence as us english never say)

9. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I used to have a BG-32. I paid around $450 for it new. The BG-29 is less expensive, so if you pay more than $400 or so, you're getting ripped off. The BG-32 is much nicer - the body is slightly bigger and is a jumbo style with no cutaway. I sold mine to get a Tacoma, which is a far superior instrument and runs neck-and-neck with the Martins and Taylors. The Tacoma was $825 new.

All AEBs that I've seen have pickups. They just aren't loud enough to compete, even in the best of circumstances.