Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Hey guys, i've been thinking a lot lately about getting an accoustic bass. At my church after youth group there is a candle light service with accoust instruments only, so i need one to play in it. What kind of accoustic basses do you guys use? i really dont know anything about accoustic basses.

If you guys could give me your in put that would be great. *i wouldn't want to pay over $250 or $300...*

-thx

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I think they're not very loud, so if you ain't allowed an amp there don't bother.

3. So... they aren't even as loud as an accoustic guitar? .... that sux

4. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    They're as loud as a finger picked guitar. You'll be blown out if any strumage happens though.

5. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Second that!

My Tacoma Thunderchief CB-10 is fairly loud compared to most of the other models I tried. But it won't keep up with two guitars and campfire or living-room vocals.

dcr

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    if you use a pick and play hard you may be able to compete...

7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I hope so; I tired that route too.

But IME, if you do, it'll be at a minimum. Certainly not what I was used to at least. I wanted to be able to get over them or at least on par with their level. And there just ain't no happenin's there!

dcr

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The only acoustic bass guitar that works at all in my experience is the Tacoma Thunderchief and it's Asian made budget Olympia bretheren.

These basses will keep up with a guitarrist playing softly, but if you're talking about guitarrists strumming like crazy, forget it.

9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 4 ABG's.
    1988 Washburn AB-20
    1998 Carlo Robeli (sam ash house brand)
    1998 same Carlo but de-fretted
    1999 Dean performer plus 5-string

The Washburn is my favorite, but It had problems with the
    tuner on the "A" tuner and the EQ so it was in the shop for
    a real long time, even though I rarely plug in, I like everything
    in working condition.
    So while it was in the shop in 1998 I started to look for a replacement, and I found the Carlo Robeli for $170 at Sam Ash Music. It did not have a cutaway, it is modeled after
    the Martin, and with Phospher Bronze strings has plenty of volume to keep with an Acoustic Guitar & drummer.
    I like it so much I bought another and had the frets pulled out.
    The Dean is weak on volume, and gets washed out.I bought it
    for $200 bucks on a closeout sale. It is also a 32" scale, where
    all my others are 34". I prefer the 34". The Dean I leave on the couch to noodle around with when on the phone or watching TV. Washburn finally did come through with a brand
    new set of tuners and EQ, so the The AB-20 was fixed later
    that year.Check out Sam Ash for a decent ABG under $200
    I think they make one with a cutout now.