1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Accoustics problem??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbase, Apr 29, 2010.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I was at practice with one 2x10 cab, bass sounded loud and tight.. I was standing next to the drummer and walked across the room (15x20 carpeted) and couldnt hear the bass anymore. I hate that.. I thought I was sounding good but never realized that the guys on the opposite side of the room never hear or feel the bass as I do. What to do? bring in my other 2x10 cab for additional help?
    When I play by myself it sounds too loud. but with the entire band it gets soaked up in the mix. I dont want to go back to heavy 15's and a bigger amp to lug around. I thought 4x10's and 500 watts would be enough anywhere.

2. I almost exclusively play large open areas (pastures, fields, in front of barns, etc) and I can get lost too in the mix. We're talking big acreage here - some are 50-60 acres and usually not smaller than 2 acres. MY backyard is over 1-acre, and we are gonna have some serious BBQs here when the snow stops for good!

Sadly - I found that 2-10s aren't moving enough air to make a decent presence.

I added a B-115 for some grumbly lows (that was good!) and then a B-410 and found I could get some projection - but nothing like when I added the B-810!

When I have all my 10s lit up, I am running a 14-10.

If you don't move some serious air, then you are thin and wispy - well, not you - but the amplified sounds just go pffft! and disappear.

What happens is that WE are swathed in sounds standing next to the cabs and amps, but your projection ends about where your feet are.

Bass requires some serious amplification at huge wattages whilst a guitar player can use 100 Watts and get heard in the cheap seats. Low freqs take obnoxious gobs of electricity!

3. If your using anything other than dedicated large bass bins in your PA then low-mids and high mids are your only friend to be heard. Large speakers and high wattage on stage just cause your gui****ists to crank it if you are going for low rumbling bass.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Read this:
    http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm

And no, there's nothing you can do about it, aside from not playing in small rooms.