Accredited Music Theory Courses...

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by bassman blue, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Hi Mike. Two questions.

1. Do you know of any accredited colleges/schools that offer an on-line music theory course?

2. If a person can only afford one bass magazine subscription, what would it be? I suspect you're partial to Bassics :) but that's fine, if you think it's the best read.

Regards, Al.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is an interesting question - don't want to pre-empt Mike and hope nobody thinks I'm being rude, but I think a lot of people would be interested, including myself.

I did start a part-time music degree with the Open University and the first year was all theory - but you had to be able to practice with a keyboard and get to hear what chords sounded like.

So I got on OK with things like harmonising hymn tunes in 4 parts, but was unable to put the the time in on actually playing chords on the piano and hearing them.

I wonder if this might be why you don't see many theory courses online? The need for practical application and testing of this?
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I cannot recommend anyplace. I did a quick search and found

As for magazines. Bass Player you can be assured will arrive every month. There is some helpful information yet is driven by advertising dollars, subscriptions, etc

Bassics and the former Bass Frontiers are driven by players. Granted delivery schedule might be a bit weird, but you'll get the real deal from them. They are not as beholding to the bottom line.

4. Thanks Mike. I just placed an order for BASSICS. I was quite disappointed with last months Bass Player magazine, so I'll give Bassics a try. Regards, Al.