1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Accu Groove Tri112...funny story

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brado, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    So, I own an Accu Groove Tri112. I'm impressed with the thing time & time again. I did a gig with one of the bands I play in. We were opening for a "bigger" headliner. They had their gear set up on stage.....the headlining band didn't really give me a definate yes or no on whether or not I could use their bass rig. It was an Ampeg 6x10 with the big 'ol SVT Tube head. Quite large. Just to play it safe, I brought in my little rig & set it up infront of the refridgerator of a bass rig. I'm currently powering my cab with the Peavey Tour 700 bass head. I plugged in & turned up/ plunked a few notes. The bassist from the headlining band quickely ran in & started yelling at me..."Hey man! What are you doing!? You're gonna blow my speakers! Turn my rig down!!" As he got close enough to see what was going on, he got this confused look on his face. He couldn't believe how much sound was coming out of such a small rig. He was convinced that I had chained both of our bass rigs together/ or I was running through the PA.....nope. He turned around & walked away. It's like it hurt his feelings. Not to knock Ampeg/ or any bass rig that's on the large side; These Accu Groove cabs can really dish it out. I thought that I would need to purchase a couple of 2x10's or a 4x10 of some other brand....then I heard these. 1 of the TRI112's is about equal to just about any 2x12 or even a 4x10 out there (as far as volume). On top of its volume capabilities, the sound is so clear. There's no gaps. Nothing is hyped. It puts out what you put in. Two of them together are sick! & that's just the TRI112....The TRI115/ TRI210/ El Whappo....super duper cabs.
    The people at Accu Groove are even better than the cabs!

2. 20Hz

20Hz

Dec 2, 2007
    Seattle
    Heh that's a good story. I agree on the people for sure. Mark spent 20 min or so talking to me about my rig and expansion options, and is sending me a replacement nameplate, as my Tri112 came used without one. That was really cool.

So far I'm in love with the cab. It will be interesting to see how it fares in rehearsal tomorrow with everyone turned up and stuff.. luckily the place I rehearse has 410s and stuff so it won't have to carry the load by itself. Glad yours worked out so well for you.

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    That is funny. It's been a while since I've plugged into an SVT rig, but I don't think I would confuse a fridge with an AccuGroove or two...;)

Ken

4. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Great story. I have been fond of the Accugroove stuff for awhile. My Jr puts out alot of sound. My Tri 12L also. Soon I will get there 15. I used the Jr with the 12L and it was way too much than what was needed.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    That's cool. I still haven't been able to test my AccuGroove rig side-by-side with a big rig like the Ampeg you mention. I'd be fun though.

6. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I have A/B'd my Tri112 with a big rig beside it. I will say this. The sound that comes out of an Ampeg 8x10 is going to be far different from what comes out of an Accu Groove. I noticed, though that the Accu Groove was way more efficient, cleaner, no stray frequencies. The Ampeg was nice & phat, but the top end was muddy, the lows were cluttered & there was a mid range gap around 300hz-500hz. Now, you can tweek & dial in just about anthing. I like to test gear with a flat EQ....really hear what's going on from the "coloring" of the cab. It all comes down to what works for you. If you're an ex-NFL linebacker & can tote your own 200lb rig on your shoulder, go on! Do it. I'm not built for heavy lifting. I like being able to walk in with a 30lb cab & an 18lb head & get a 500lb sound. I want to get into one of the TRI115's down the road. It's one of the fastest responding 15"s I've ever played. It's faster than many 10"s out there. You pair a tri115 with a tri112 on top....you've got a deadly combination. It's like an El Whappo & then some.