Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accu Groove

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowtonejoe, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Could anyone tell me what the sonic difference is between the Tri110 and the Tri112?

The boxes are about the same size. The biggest differences seem to be the speaker size.

I know what the general differences are between tens and twelves. I am referring specifically to these two cabs.

Thanks!

:D

Joe.

2. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Dang!

Anybody play through both of these and want to tell me about it?

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Every year at NAMM, top level artists plug in & start playing thinking the amazing sound that they are enjoying is coming from the El Whappo. In fact it's coming from the Tri 110L right next to it. No one can believe it.

Aside from the 2 lbs. & 100 watts difference, the Tri 110L is a little more even & neutral from the Tri 112L yet has more bass than you've ever heard from a 1x10. The Tri 112L has just a little more bass while being a tad louder.

Although they both sound incredible, some players prefer one over the other...it's split. Of course there are those that just get one of each. :D

Whappo
    AccuGroove Speaker Cabinets

Steve Lawson with one of his two Tri 110L cabinets
    Steve's Web Site
    [​IMG]

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I've never played the 110, but I can give you a quick anecdote about the Tri 112.

I'm doing a production of Jesus Christ Superstar, along with an orchestra, in a small theater. If you've ever played with a brass section, you know the kind of volume they play at. I had been intending to use my Whappo, Jr. and Aguilar 750 once we got to production and dress rehearsals. Till then I was using my 112 powered by my Acoustic Image Clarus, which because the 112 is 8 ohms, is probably not producing much over 100 some odd watts.

I told my music director about my plans to upgrade for the show, and he told me no way because I was already blowing out the rest of the orchestra! I thought he was kidding until during a break I had somebody else play my bass. The rich tone of the Accugroove was filling up the theater with deep sound, but with the definition the 'Groove's mid-range and tweeters give you. Just killing. With 100 watts. In a theater with an orchestra.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with both my rigs, and I can recommend the 112 without hesitation. Can't say what the 110 would do, but if Mark makes it, it won't suck.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Some of us would like two of each... :cool:

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Jim, I think you're dead right, and the tone from the Aguilar would be better for my purposes (trying to get a late 60s tubey sound). In all candor, the only reason I'm not bringing the bigger rig is that I think it would freak my music director. He's already worried about balancing volumes (singers vs. orchestra, drums vs. everything else, bass vs. rest of orchestra), and in all seriousness, I don't want him to think after our volume discussion that I'm trying to be more difficult rather than help out. My tone is fine now, and "politically" I'm comfortable taking the small rig.

Keeping the gig and getting future ones is as important as the last degree of tone.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried the Tri 112L, but I own a Tri 110 (no "L") and multiple other Accugroove cabs. To my ears, the 110 is perhaps the most aggressive (in a good way) Accugroove cab through the upper mids, and it really cuts well. I keep wanting to use the phrase that it has "a little more bark", but I don't want this to sound like it is a peaky, or overly colored sounding cab (it is not!). But compared to my Tri 208, the 110 is more in your face, while the 208 is more laid back and unobtrusive. But both have a balanced tonal presentation. The Tri 110 is on the big side for a "1x10", but then again, its sound is pretty huge, too!

For a semi-compact rig, I like the sound of my 110 on top of my 210L (with both on their sides in a vertical array). This combination is very full, but has a really cutting, clear tone to it.

I still need to try one (or two!) of those Tri 112L's, though... :p

Tom.

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Thanks for the tip.

I will do that.

Joe.

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Thanks for the reply Big Whappo!

Would you happen to remember WHY half the guys chose one over the other? (Tonal reasons over power capacity/venue size)

Thanks!

Joe.

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    That's good info.

Thanks man!

Joe.

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Thanks Tom!

So are you saying that the Tri110 is a brighter cab? (I don't mean treblier, I mean easier to sonically see)

And...

I'll give you until next weekend to pick up a Tri112, test it out and get back to me.

;)

Joe.

12. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sorry I took so long to reply guys. I have not been getting any instant notifications and have been so busy I just got around to checking it manually today.

Thanks for all the replies.

Joe.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That sounds about right.

Hah! :p