Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ACCUGROOVE 2 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Jul 10, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    alright peeps,

i already have a accugroove 2 10 paired with an ede wt-600

i've been in the market for another cab to pair up with it for awhile..

i kinda dont want to get an el whappo, or whappo junior, so i'm looking towards another 2 10..

do u you think that 2 tri210l's would really sound that " ridicuously" awesome?

i realize i would have to upgrade my power amp, but what should i go with?

a navigator? i'm not sure..

i'd like to do it with a 2 space power amp, ( not a SUPER expensive one (someone showed me a crest one before) ) and i'd like to have like a 1 space pre-amp..

this way i can keep my 4 space rack, my dbx compressor and my pre-amp in a nice package.

idealy i would like to run 800 - 1000 watts/side to these cabs

my main bass is a BN5 f bass.

can someone give me a suggestion on pre amps ( perhaps aguilar, eden, ??????) and some power amp opinions...

the cabs have the accu switch, so i could even run em at 4 ohms each.. etc

my reason for having these cabs is mostly because of portability and punch etc

thanks for reading, and i look forward to your input.

eric

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I am a huge fan of the Whappo, Jr. and Tri 210L combo, but if you are dead set against anything larger than the Tri, then by all means, go for two! Another great cab to pair with the Tri 210L which is of similar size is the Gordo 1x18 sub. Of course, Mark no longer makes that one, so you'd have to find it used.

As for preamp/amp upgrades, I do like the Crest CA series, and if you look for them used, you should be able to find one for a reasonable price. I bought one of my CA9's for under $500, and I have seen CA6's go for under $400.

Preamp-wise, if you like Eden products, then the Navigator is really a fine preamp. I have a number of really excellent preamps, and none of them blow the Navigator out of the water. Personal preference comes into play at this level, and I can see some people preferring the Navigator the best out of all my preamps. Plus, if you go with the Navigator, you can sell your dbx compressor, because the Nav has one built in (and it sounds/works better than any dbx I have tried, and I have tried quite a few!).

But, if you really did want to stick with a 1U preamp, then depending on your tonal preferences, I have used and can recommend any of the following"

Aguilar DB 659
    Alembic F-1X
    Demeter VTBP-210s
    Read Purity

They all sound unique, though, so it depends on what style you play and what tone you are after.

Tom.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you're a big punch fan, a 2nd Tri 210 should do the trick.

If you want to add a bit of beef, the Tri 112 should complement the 210 you already have -- another TBer has this combination and likes it.

As far as preamps go, if you want a really punchy system, get the Demeter VTBP-201S -- very fast for a tube preamp.
    If you want to add some warmth, the Aguilar DB659 or Read Purity are nice preamps.

Power amps? If you don't mind the weight, I'd recommend a Crown MA-2402.
    Something lighter -- Stewart World 2.1 (if you're a control-freak, the QSC PLX amps have some nifty filtering and protection options).

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Demeter VTBP201S is a all about punch if that's what you're looking for.

Two Tri210L's would be a killer set-up. I'd give serious thought to a Jr as a second cab but if you really don't want to tote the larger cab than definitely get another 210. You will be pleased.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Get the JR.- It's now only about 10lbs heavier than the 210-warning:you'll probably sell the 210.
    Just my 2 cents.
    :D

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    hmmmmmmmmm, it seems there's 3 camps here.

1- The 2x10 crew, which I also happen to love & own

2- The W jr. crew, which I've never had the pleasure to try

3- The El Whappo crew, which I've owned & sold...

The 2x10 seems like a higher range cab with a nice fullness, great for ERB work, especially in the higher register. I'm not sure how responsive in the highs the Jr. is compared to the 2x10, never a/b'd them. I don't think you could go wrong with two 2x10's for a tight punchy full range sound, if that's your thing.

My next endeavor is a Dickens stack. The Dickens cab(not the sub) is supposed to be between a Jr. & El Whappo & a bit heavier, sounds good to me...

~S~

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i think i'd like to stick with eden, as far as pre-amp..

( i listened to alot of clips on bass tasters) i think they are super versatile, and readily easy to use, seeing as how i've been using their stuff for quite some time..

id like to run a eden navigator ( dont reallyneed the footswitch, unless it comes with it) with (still) some sort of power amp..

and i think, 2 tri210l's

i figure, if i trade back in, my wt-600, my dbx compressor, and this boss v-wah thing and a bass xciter, i would have to put down, little, or no money at all on a eden nav pre and the power amp.

i play alot of thumb-style stuff, so i dont think a whappo junior would be too great for that..

i like 10' s :hyper:

whats the compressor like on the navgator pre-amp anyways? is it sweet or what?

let me in on some sweet info men..

thanks for info thus far :bassist:

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It is a "dbx style" compressor (their words - I'm not sure exactly what that means) with threshold and ratio controls. I am generally rather leery of "built-in" compressors, and I'd much rather play without compression than use a cruddy one, but the Navigator's compressor is really impressive. You don't hear it pumping or breathing at all, it is very transparent in its operation, and it is effective. I like it a lot.

Tom.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I very much think another 210 by accugroove would sound great. I myself went back to 12's as i have the whoopo jr. I love it, love it, love it. Best cabinet I ever tried heard or used.
    Someone mentioned before that a ca6 would do well with it. I have one and use a demeter 201s with it. I was never fully happy with the demeter until I used it with the accugroove. I have and had a EA VL210b, Eden 410 XLT, CXL 112, SWR 8x8, SWR 210 modified cerwin vega 1 18, 1 10 and 1 tweeter.
    But the accugroove outshines all. I never tried the 210 but its got to sound sweet. Another it will sound that much better. But you want to carry all that. :help:

godley69 likes this.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Hmmm...how about two Tri 210 and a Bill Dickens Sub (all stacked vertically) with a pair of Crown MA-2402 power amps.

:bassist: "I feel the Earth move under my feet..."

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i've thought about getting t he whappo junior before, but will it sound good while slapping??

i hope to be picking up my bnf6 this week, this is why i kind of want 12's

then i wanted to get the navigator head, aswell as the ca-9

12. godley69

godley69 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Louisiana
    Hey Bass Brother. Tried to PM you but TB won't allow for some reason......I have 3 Whappo Jr. Cabs, a tri-115 and two tri-112 cabs. All fantastic cabs. I will sell you one of my Jr. Cabs, if you're interested. I could part with the 15 or one of the 12s, possibly. My wife wants me to clear some equipment unfortunately! Nothing is wrong with any of them. Just have too many cabs (according to the wife. Lol!) I have a couple of Schroeder cabs and a few Baer cabs also. THAT'S why she is on me to " thin the herd"! I'm godley69 on eBay, if you need to check out my honest transactions. Let me know if you're interested. Have a Happy and Safe Holiday !-Bill

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thread was only nine years old.
    ZOMBIE alert!

godley69 likes this.
  14. godley69

godley69 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Louisiana
    Man! I was caught in a time warp!